INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is the Microsoft option grayed out in mc2xml?  (Read 7104 times)

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
Why is the Microsoft option grayed out in mc2xml?
« on: October 24, 2011, 02:18:45 pm »

In Windows 7 Media Center, I get really great guide (it's almost like Microsoft has Red October mode for the channel guide). The information is good, and I have info for all of my channels. In MC, I used to use the ATSC tuner guide info. I got information for every channel, but the information wasn't very good. When I switched to MC17, I tried using the new default guide mode of mc2xml. With that, I get better information, but for two channels (ION and Qubo, which, based on my zip code, it evidently doesn't expect I can receive via antenna) I get no information at all.

I did some research and it seems like WMC in Windows 7 uses a new information source, and the way to get equivalent information through mc2xml is to use the Microsoft option (not the default of Microsoft Legacy). But, the Microsoft option is grayed out. Why is this?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Why is the Microsoft option grayed out in mc2xml?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:20:05 pm »

I believe you may need to donate and contact the author of mc2xml to get that option enabled.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:30:00 pm »

I believe you may need to donate and contact the author of mc2xml to get that option enabled.
I have no problem donating, especially if I were sure it would resolve my problem. I went to the donation site prior to posting and didn't see any indication that I'd receive a code or anything. I think I will give it a shot if I resolve the issues here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67237.0.

Thanks.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 03:48:37 pm »

With that, I get better information, but for two channels (ION and Qubo, which, based on my zip code, it evidently doesn't expect I can receive via antenna) I get no information at all.

Same two channels I'm not getting guide data for - any chance you're in Florida?

BTW, I did the "slow, but thorough" channel scan and found three more channels at the upper end of the spectrum.

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 03:56:09 pm »

Same two channels I'm not getting guide data for - any chance you're in Florida?

BTW, I did the "slow, but thorough" channel scan and found three more channels at the upper end of the spectrum.
Actually in Upstate NY. To be clear, this has nothing to do with a channel scan, which found ION and Qubo just fine even without the slow/thorough scan. The problem is the only way to get guide information for those two channels is to use ATSC (or to use WMC, which just magically works).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 04:14:03 pm »

I know what you meant. I was just commenting that the slow channel scan found more channels. The fast scan originally found ION and Qubo but mc2xml does't list a guide for those channels - as you mentioned. The Titan scheduls don't work and as you said the "new" Microsoft is not available (free).
I did not know the guide data is available if Tuner is set for ATSC. I have a dual tuner (HVR2250), I will see if I can set one tuner to ATSC and the other to digital.

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 09:47:06 pm »

I can confirm that if you donate at least $20 to mc2xml, you'll get the non-legacy Microsoft functionality, and that includes information for channels like QUBO and ION.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 03:27:44 pm »

I do get ION and Qubo guide through Microsoft Legacy.

MC can not automatically match the data for these channels to the actual channels because the names are different.

In my area, ION and Qubo, and IONLife are in channels 38-1 ION, 38-2 Qubo, and 38-3 IONLife.  The guide data through mc2xml come in the names WCPXDT, WCPXDT2, and WCPXDT3.  You have to manually match these to the correct channels.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 11:30:28 pm »

I do get ION and Qubo guide through Microsoft Legacy.

MC can not automatically match the data for these channels to the actual channels because the names are different.

In my area, ION and Qubo, and IONLife are in channels 38-1 ION, 38-2 Qubo, and 38-3 IONLife.  The guide data through mc2xml come in the names WCPXDT, WCPXDT2, and WCPXDT3.  You have to manually match these to the correct channels.
Hm. When I re-setup the guide using the new version of mc2xml (w/ Microsoft, not legacy), one machine completely auto-mapped everything properly. My other machine didn't do any auto matching at all and I had to fill in the whole table myself. When I did that, I was able to map everything easily including ION. Maybe the names of the channels are just better with the new version and I didn't realize that WCPSDT mapped to ION when I tried to set it up with legacy.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 08:34:53 am »

Auto matching requires that the channel name and the name used in XML guide data have some overlapping.  When the names are completely different, no match can automatically be made.  In addition to ION, Qubo, another of my local station that does not match is "5-1 NBC 5" not matching "WMAQDT".  This station uses "NBC 5" in its channel name instead of its call letters WMAQ. 
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up