INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does "Explorer" in MC suddenly show strange folder icons?  (Read 2973 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Hello,

Just noticed a real oddity in MC 17.0.106 (and possibly prior). I use the Drives and Devices tree item a lot and suddenly today - I am seeing oddball "shortcut" arrows over every folder on the tree - where they had normal folder icons prior:

I recall these shortcut icons being rightly so with any mapped network drives or "network locations" in WIndows 7 but local drives should not display a shortcut - like those on my D Drive.

Any ideas on what is happening here?

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Why does "Explorer" in MC suddenly show strange folder icons?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:52:08 am »

If you restart Media Center (close Media Server for a complete shutdown), do they come back each time?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:54:45 am »

If you restart Media Center (close Media Server for a complete shutdown), do they come back each time?

Yes.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:55:45 am »

What does Windows Explorer show for an icon?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:00:52 am »

What does Windows Explorer show for an icon?

It's all good...and normal:

VP

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 08:53:37 am »

I recall these shortcut icons being rightly so with any mapped network drives or "network locations" in WIndows 7 [...]
I browsed all through my file system but nowhere I discovered those shortcut icons in the MC tree. For me neither mapped network drives nor network locations do have the shortcut arrow.

Perhaps rebuilding the icon cache could help (does this effect MC?! I'm not sure, but worth a try): http://windows7themes.net/windows-7-clear-icon-cache.html

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:19:54 am »

Perhaps rebuilding the icon cache could help (does this effect MC?! I'm not sure, but worth a try): http://windows7themes.net/windows-7-clear-icon-cache.html

Rebuilt the cache - no change. All folders in MC's Explorer still show a shortcut arrow over the folder.....

VP

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 08:21:14 pm »

Just an idea for a workaround:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3606-shortcut-arrow-change-remove-restore.html

Interesting question is: will this work. This "trick" actually removes the little arrows for shortcuts but the folders in MC with the arrow aren't shortcuts for real...

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:49:56 pm »

Just an idea for a workaround:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3606-shortcut-arrow-change-remove-restore.html

Interesting question is: will this work. This "trick" actually removes the little arrows for shortcuts but the folders in MC with the arrow aren't shortcuts for real...

I have several commercial tools for removing the overlay "arrow" and have it off by default anyway. I refreshed all the icon caches, icons, fixed the special folder icons etc - Windows 7 looks perfect with no issues...MC continues to display these weird icons. I even removed the Explorer feature from the tree - shut down MC the came back in and readded it - all to no avail.

Whatever is going on has happened in these last few iterations...and I first noticed this a day or two ago so it had to be with 106....

Also - I just fired up 106 on another machine here and it's doing it there as well...like all of a sudden.

VP

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 02:05:03 am »

Is there a "Custom Art" folder inside your "[MC install directory]\Data\" folder?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 06:52:28 am »

Is there a "Custom Art" folder inside your "[MC install directory]\Data\" folder?

No.

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 07:19:11 am »

And now it's fixed! Here's what I did (and what's changed):

1. Server rebuild over the weekend had big changes to permissions etc on all my main shares including Music
2. On all our workstations - instead of mapping network drives - I have always used the Win 7 "network locations" which can be added by right clicking in My Computer

3. Just now - I decided to ditch ALL these network locations (I had 3) and change them all to true "mapped" Network drives
4. I then removed the Explorer feature from MC.
5. Closed MC and Media Server
6. Restarted MC (with Media Server)
7. Re-added the Explorer component to the MC Tree
8. Closed MC (and Media Center) once more
9. Restarted MC
10. Icons restored!

So - seems that MC's Explorer component has an issue somehow with how it sees "network" location shortcuts vs mapped drives. Also of note - two of my specific "Network Locations" I had previously were not "top level" folders out on the LAN - they were several levels down in a folder called Bruce - and Windows did not display it's usual "mapped drive" icon in the My Computer window (the one with a drive looking like it's connected to a network pipe)...the icons were simply folders. I am wondering if this is somehow causing MC to display ALL of it's icons (even local drives) with this strange shortcut overlay icon.

I can confirm that all icons in the MC Explorer are now correct - as soon as moved everything the "hard" mapped drives.

One for the devs I suppose - but MC should honor Win 7's Network Locations feature as well as mapped drives - without changing every icon to a "shortcut".

Cheers!

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up