INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stretch Videos By Default?  (Read 8500 times)

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
Stretch Videos By Default?
« on: December 23, 2011, 12:33:55 pm »

Hi all,
My first post. I just stumbled upon MC, I have been a eJukebox user up to now.
I really like MC and can see swinging my collection over to it permanently. But I have a problem I don't seem to find an answer for.
I have thousands of Music Videos. All collected from every different place you can think of. Naturally they all play at different sizes in MC. By far the largest amount I have is of the old 640x480 or 320x240 videos from the past. Some of them run pillarboxed fine, others are way too pillarboxed or both letter and pillarboxed depending on who ripped the video to file. I see I can go to Player|Display Options|Window| and Stretch them and they look fine. But that is only for one of them. I have thousands of videos, each one sized differently from postage stamped YouTube-ers to full Bluray .264 files.
In our previous eJukebox it could use winamp to play videos, and winamp has a section under Video to NOT maintain aspect ration. That effectively stretches every video to fit the screen regardless of what it does to the aspect. That is what we want. There is also a setting for resizing in FFDshows panels, but MC doesn't seem to use FFD for any video playback.

Any ideas on how to make every video I play fill the screen without having to touch each one first?

Thanks all!

Don

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Stretch Videos By Default?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 12:41:29 pm »

Welcome.  Are you using MC16?  Or MC17.  MC17 lets you specify aspect ratio by file.

When you play a video, use the arrow keys on your keyboard or remote to get the OSD options.

Under Tools/Options/General/Behavior, you will find some options that may be useful.

Under Video Settings, select Red October Standard to get started.  You can read about it on our wiki.

You're on the Media Jukebox board.  I'll move this thread once I know what you're using.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 01:09:21 pm »

Hi,
What a quick response!

I am using the latest Beta.
There are so many options... :o
Yes, I can see how to change it on the one playing now, but I have thousands and thousands of Music Videos. I use it in my garage pool room and folks pick videos and leave it to shoot. The Videos play on several monitors in the room. No one is at the controls to adjust each one as it is being played. I want it to just automatically stretch each one to fill the screen when it is being played, not to have to play each one first and custom set the stretch. I found a pic of the place I uncheck in winamp. Unchecking that box makes all videos fill the screen.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=winamp+aspect+ratio&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GZAG_enUS459US459&biw=1057&bih=654&tbm=isch&tbnid=BnGIJvXrWgIgvM:&imgrefurl=http://en.kioskea.net/faq/11598-winamp-manually-configure-the-aspect-ratio&docid=Pa-yxPPM4_WeUM&imgurl=http://static.commentcamarche.net/en.kioskea.net/pictures/SDiYPp8O-aspectratio-s-.png&w=500&h=387&ei=8dD0TsiIIajfiAKGsPyRDQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=244&sig=116912864561236601368&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=183&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=129&ty=48

Also, one other question I can't find an answer for. How do you make playing now delete songs that have played? I don't need to see what has already played and it makes it hard to find where you are in the list. Can it just remove played songs from Now Playing? Like Windows Media player does it.

Thanks again.

Don

bil1010105

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 02:38:51 am »

+1 for this idea.

In fact, + several million, but I only get one vote.  :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 04:10:36 am »

I've already asked for this, so, +1 from me too :)

Merry Christmas

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 09:22:37 am »

Which one are you guys adding your +1 too?
The playlist question? If so, great, but it isn't a deal breaker the way it is. We also don't see why it lets you put in a song twice. I have several folks picking and if a song has already been picked and is in the list, it shouldn't be able to be added a second time. (Yes I can delete dupes, but why let them be created?)

Or is the +1 about my question about videos and some kind of default stretch option? If so, does that mean it is impossible? And I need to play each of my 13 thousand rock videos once to set an aspect ratio? That is a deal breaker. That would take forever.

Thanks

Don

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 09:31:38 am »

I didn't expect anyone would want to intentionally distort the aspect ratio of videos, so the new options are centered around displaying the correct aspect ratio.

If the problem is that you have to stretch to get the correct aspect ratio, that means you need to use the aspect ratio adjustment option.

But if you simply want to distort the aspect ratio of the video so the screen is filled, we'll add the option.

If the change doesn't show up in a build of Media Center in a couple weeks, please bump this thread and I'll make sure it gets done.

More here on the updated aspect ratio system:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Video_Playback_Aspect_Ratio
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 09:41:23 am »

Thanks Matt, I had a feeling I might not be the only weird one with this request!

+1 from me is for "set stretch as default, with manual over ride possible"

There's no setting you can apply that will remove items from Now Playing as they are played, though a rule in the search box that filtered out items played recently might wok on a per session basis if you keep Now Playing in it's own exclusive tab.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 10:44:01 am »

Wow, thanks!

They are distorted in the first place.. Actually it is two fold. For years we have run the Video Jukebox on widescreen TVs but the media has been 4x3, or even worse. Wanting to use up all the space on our fancy new widescreen TVs (and not burn in the Plasma!!), we found a way to make the videos fill the screen. Sure people are fatter, but being a very early adopter type, I don't even see that stretched look. In the TV jukebox (Front Room), all TV shows from the past are played stretched, (XBMC), otherwise the Plasma would burn the black bars in (well the opposite, you know what I mean). Now I am fine with videos that are pillarboxed correctly, I would just as soon leave those alone, (Garage has no burn in issues, no plasmas) they look fine natural, but I do have quite a few that must have been ripped by an idiot :), with pillars sometime using more than half the screen. I want those to be fixed, so a default stretch would solve all the problems.

What a fantastic response here. I am the "guru" for a half dozen or so "ejukeboxes" at friends homes. I will continue to heartily endorse MC.
(I have bought in so far as to go through and rename all the videos, (25% done so far), with three fields instead of two, so MC can pick them up and we can sort better. What an awesome tool.)

Don

bil1010105

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 04:50:31 am »

But if you simply want to distort the aspect ratio of the video so the screen is filled, we'll add the option.

Yup, that's the one.  :)

Thanks.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 09:35:57 am »

Yes, that does say it exactly. Just fill the screen regardless of how the aspect turns out.

Thanks alot.... There is so much to learn. I learn stuff accidentally and then can't figure out how i did it. :)
I made a view that had both the Videos and the audios in it, but I can't figure out how i did it to replicate it. I am sure I dragged a Video view to an Audio area, but trying that now just gives me the view from the other area, but none of the music.  I'll figure it out. I really like Media Center. You have my money!!!

Thanks, I will keep checking back to see if you added it (stretch). What great responsiveness!

Don

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 05:15:06 am »

Thanks so much for adding the stretch option in 17.062. It works exactly as I wanted it to.

I have another suggestion, I will start a new thread.

Thanks again!

Don

Pages: [1]   Go Up