INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio problem when playing video  (Read 1226 times)

Don W

• World Citizen
Audio problem when playing video
« on: December 28, 2011, 03:14:54 pm »

I'm having some trouble with audio when attempting to play video - specifically BDMV or DVD, ripped using JRiver with DVDFab. If I set Output Mode to WASAPI (with exclusive access), then the sound is always jumbled and corrupt when playing video. If I set Output Mode to WASAPI event style, the sound is right, but Output Format in DSP Studio gets enabled somehow, when I have disabled it previous to playing the video. I want Output Format disabled so the bit stream to the DAC is unmodified.

Any advice on how to best deal with this?

Thanks in advance...

Don W

• World Citizen
Re: Audio problem when playing video
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:43:50 pm »

For anyone who might like to know, I found a workaround for this problem. In Tools->Options->Video, set Video mode to Advanced - Custom. Then in Custom video mode settings, add a rule where the Type if Audio renderer and the Filter is your playback device. That does it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 01:27:38 pm »

The workaround you posted is just bypassing the JRiver audio engine, and allowing Windows to resample and remix.  This is not recommended.

I would recommend WASAPI - Event Style.  If DSP Studio > Output Format engages, it's because some change is required to talk to your device.  For example, most good hardware requires 24-bit output.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 01:51:40 pm »

Thanks, Matt.
Why does DSP Studio -> Output format engage with the audio from video sources and not mp3 or flac audio files? Also, since it stays engaged once I go back to playing music, is it something to worry about if I want unmodified bit stream to the DAC?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:54:58 pm »

Why does DSP Studio -> Output format engage with the audio from video sources and not mp3 or flac audio files? Also, since it stays engaged once I go back to playing music, is it something to worry about if I want unmodified bit stream to the DAC?

The video may use a sample rate or bitdepth that's unsupported by your hardware.  You could look at the dialog and see what change it's making.

It's best to always select the highest bitdepth supported by your hardware (normally 24-bit), so this wouldn't be something to worry about.

More here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up