INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internal volume control and re-sampling  (Read 1323 times)

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
Internal volume control and re-sampling
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:22:22 pm »

This is probably a "duh!" question, but if I'm using a multi-zone set up and want to use Gizmo to control the volume in the zones, I have to use Direct Sound as the output mode, correct?  Which, in turn, means I must put up with Windows re-sampling all my music to 48kHz? Otherwise, if I use ASIO or Kernel Streaming, I'd have to use the Delta 410 soundcard's mixer or my pre-amp to adjust the volume, and Gizmo's volume control wouldn't work.  Do I have all that correct?

Thx 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Internal volume control and re-sampling
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 09:45:44 am »

This is probably a "duh!" question, but if I'm using a multi-zone set up and want to use Gizmo to control the volume in the zones, I have to use Direct Sound as the output mode, correct?

Gizmo doesn't care what audio output or volume mode the machine uses.  It should do the same thing as controlling the volume slider (whatever it might be connected to) on the machine itself.

If the problem is that you don't have a volume slider in Media Center, then switch to Internal volume mode and you will.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 10:19:40 am »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.  My issue is that when I switch from Direct Sound to ASIO or Kernel Streaming, the volume slider is still present, but it doesn't do anything.  I can move the MC volume slider to any position and the output volume remains the same.  I can only adjust the volume from the MAudio mixer.  Is the issue that I need to change the "Volume Device" setting in the ASIO settings?

Thx,

J

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 10:25:14 am »

I can move the MC volume slider to any position and the output volume remains the same.  I can only adjust the volume from the MAudio mixer.  Is the issue that I need to change the "Volume Device" setting in the ASIO settings?

If the hardware exposes a volume, use the 'Volume Device' in ASIO settings.

If the hardware does not expose a volume, use the 'Internal Volume Mode' in Media Center:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 11:57:27 am »

Brilliant!  All these years and I never noticed I could click on that speaker icon next to the slider.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up