INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with navigation in ripped DVDs  (Read 1192 times)

lhwidget

• World Citizen
Problem with navigation in ripped DVDs
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:48:21 am »

I posted this last November,
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67931.msg456882#msg456882
but it was during Thanksgiving vacation and the smart people were off that week ;)  I'm reposting now in hopes of finding some help.  MC 15 and most of (maybe all) of the v16 releases had great FF, Reverse, and skip-to behavior while playing DVDs ripped to VOBs in a single directory.  Now, from the first release of v17 I tried (around 17.3 something) I have the following problems:

I have checked about 20 DVDs, all ripped to VOBs (over a 3 year period by DVDFab), and I get the same behavior consistently with all DVDs played.  The video and audio quality of the playing movie are exceptional, moving around to different points in the movie is almost impossible.

I tried several things:
1) Chapters: skip forward or back worked consistently for me.

2) FF worked @ 5x, Rew mostly worked @ 5x, but if I started Rew right at a chapter, it looked like it skipped to the beginning of the previous chapter.

3) Fast forward (5x) shows smooth speed-ed up video motion without sound.  Rew (5x) shows frozen video while the time index skips backward at ≈ 60 sec intervals.  The movie starts instantly when play is pressed without any vid/audio sync issues.

4) FF @ 20x would always hang, Rev @ 20x actually worked a time or two, but usually hangs.

5) My time skips are set to 1:00 min forward & 15 sec backward.
When I do a single skip forward the video goes forward to what looks like the proper point and stops, there are no sounds or noises. 

Waiting doesn't help, but if I pause it, then press play, the video will start and about a second later, the sound starts & they are in sync.

Also, if I drag the position indicator at the top of the screen to a new location, I get exactly the same behavior as skip forward/backward.

6) The behaviors described above have occurred consistently with every DVD I played.

7) All of the above functions are working as they should when Mpeg 2 and .ts files are played (recorded analog and HD TV, and ripped Blurays).

lhwidget

• World Citizen
Re: Problem with navigation in ripped DVDs
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 06:39:53 am »

Bump

There seem to be several people with similar problems (see first post).

If this needs to be posted somewhere else, or is somehow inappropriate, please let me know.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:28:28 pm »

I just did some testing on ripped DVD's.  Fast forward and rewind worked ok for me except at 100x speed it was kind of flaky.  It seemed to scan much faster than 100x (about 500x), the scan bar at the bottom disappeared during the scanning, and when I pressed Play during the 100x scan, sometimes it would show a freeze frame and I'd have to press the rewind button and then Play to get it playing again.  I've modifed it to cap the scan speed at 50x instead of 100x.  50x worked very well for me.  Perhaps the mpeg-2 decoding filter got confused trying to handle the 100x speed requests.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 06:31:45 pm »

I was running v17.046, so I went ahead & installed 17.062.

MC is still behaving as described in the OP except:
When pressing Rew in 17.046, MC always went directly to 100x and would fail.

Now 17.062 goes to Rewind @ 5x as is should and works.

All other symptoms are as described above in OP.

Also, I tried moving a movie folder from my server to my main machine's desktop (a solid state drive).  Same results and problems as described in OP.

If I'm the only one with problems, it's probably something stupid I've done in Windows XP, or in WHS on my server.

Is anyone else having any problems?  :(

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 08:32:17 am »

That change (capping at 50x) will be in build 63 and above.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 05:35:34 pm »

Thanks John,
Any word or ideas on my other problems?
Pages: [1]   Go Up