INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toggling different Soundcards with a single button?  (Read 1712 times)

Marlene

• Recent member
Toggling different Soundcards with a single button?
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:37:36 pm »

This is just a question (or a suggestion, whatever you like): recently Iīve been using two different soundcards. While I was listening I wished there would be a simple button for toggling the two different cards. You know... like a button in the toolbar where I can switch the two soundcards I previously defined in the "Audio Output" panel. Iīve noticed that MC remembers the last configured soundcard for an output option. For example, my ASUS is configured to output audio with Asio whereas my Soundblaster HD outputs with Wasapi. It would be so comfortable if I would be able to switch cards without going through the menu... is there a possibility? I used the search but didnīt find anything on this subject.

Could that be added easily or does it already exist and Iīm just to blind to see it?

I could imagine that this would also be of use for people who use the digital output of their card for different purposes compared to the analogue output.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Toggling different Soundcards with a single button?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:47:43 pm »

Can you create a second zone, and use Ctrl-T to toggle the zone?

The currently selected zone will be used for playback commands.  Each zone gets its own output settings.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Marlene

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:02:04 pm »

Can you create a second zone, and use Ctrl-T to toggle the zone?

The currently selected zone will be used for playback commands.  Each zone gets its own output settings.

Fascinating idea. I just tried it (I never even bothered to look at different zones before) and I think I understand the purpose of different "Zones" now (better late than never  ;D). At first it seemed strange to me that both zones would continue playing the audio material. But so far it works... although itīs a bit different from my idea that I would toggle the playback of "Playing Now" (I know that it wouldnīt be that easy because I assume the playback has to be stopped anyway).

Thank you very much for the tip, Iīll try this further!  :)

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:54 pm »

You're welcome.  Here's a brief tidbit more: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones.

Zones have their own Playing Now list.  You can immediately see the value when you think of multi-zone playback (eg. in different rooms).

You can open multiple tabs, setting each one to a zone's playing now, or you can use the new Overview.  Selecting a zone in the tree also sets it as the current zone (again, which becomes the target of default playback commands).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Marlene

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:22:44 pm »

You're welcome.  Here's a brief tidbit more: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones.

Zones have their own Playing Now list.  You can immediately see the value when you think of multi-zone playback (eg. in different rooms).

You can open multiple tabs, setting each one to a zone's playing now, or you can use the new Overview.  Selecting a zone in the tree also sets it as the current zone (again, which becomes the target of default playback commands).

Yes, now that I used them for the first time their practicability became apparent to me! I never thought of using them before because I couldnīt think of a purpose. Now I can, thanks again.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 05:41:44 am »

To make using various zones and Playing Now lists (each zone has its own) easier in the standard view mode you can add toolbar buttons (aka shortcut buttons) to the top or bottom toolbar. Here is my reply from another recent thread:

Yeah, the toolbar buttons are very useful. Here is what I currently have on my top toolbar:

Click to enlarge.

(Right-click the top or bottom toolbar to configure.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up