INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help directing my library to a new external hard drive.  (Read 3175 times)

Russ Reed

• Recent member

I just installed a new external hard drive. I've directed the library to the new file location. All the new files show up, but so do the old ones. All the play list are still looking for the old drive and files. What do I do to get rid of all those little yellow X's?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: I need help directing my library to a new external hard drive.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Transfer

"Changing the drive letter" is pertinent.

If you have already reimported (why would you want to do that and lose all your stats?), then you'll need to do a library search for something like "[Filename (path)]=X:" where X is your old drive letter, and delete. The other option is to enable "fix broken links" under the auto-import options.

Russ Reed

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:18:20 pm »

Now I just need to remove all the duplicate files from my library. I've got two of everything.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:21:34 pm »

Be sure Auto-Import is configured as you want (Tools > Import ... > Configure Auto-Import).

Use the Search Wizard to select the unwanted files - probably via Filename (path) - select them, and delete (removing from the database/library).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

eb887

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 04:06:35 pm »

I would like to play from an external hard drive but when I try to include by importing that file MC17 does not see the other drive?

eb887

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 07:33:17 am »

Sorry. I figured it out myself. thanks.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
  • World Class Referance Playback!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 08:21:13 pm »

I plan on relocating my files to a external drive. Keeping same tree structure just different drive letter.  I have looked at the Q&A and still don't understand.  Can you please provide step by step on how to change just the drive letter?

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
  • World Class Referance Playback!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 08:28:57 pm »

never mind, I figured it out.  I think it needs to be more user friendly in how to go about just changing out the drive letter or entire path. Something that walks you thru would be nice.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 11:22:34 pm »

Not not just delete everything and reimport when you get a new drive?
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 05:14:50 am »

I think the question is why not delete and reimport?  If tags aren't saved to the file, there is the chance of a lot of information being lost.  Independent of that you loose bookmarks, number of plays, (maybe replain gain), etc and the files will be removed from playlists.  It is this last one that can be very annoying. For some reason MC decided it "lost" all of my files once after I added a hard drive (despite letters staying the same) and a lot of playlists vanished.  I don't do any playlists that aren't smartlists now so they are more robust.  The process to point MC to the new files with the rename tool is a few seconds of work and easier than reimporting.  Controlling your media from within MC is always the safest route.

Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up