INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remove Tags  (Read 1735 times)

tomkatz

Remove Tags
« on: January 06, 2012, 10:34:02 pm »

I unfortunately in setting up somehow tagged more than 5000 albums as the same artist.  I uninstalled and reinstalled but the tags remained.  How would I remove the tags for a clean reinstall rather than retag each album including compilations?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Remove Tags
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:54:04 pm »

Try a restore from a backup library: File > Library > Restore Library...

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restore_a_library
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

tomkatz

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 07:21:35 pm »

Appears there needs to be a backup.  Since I was just setting up there was none.  The tags are in the original itunes library?  Is there a file that can be deleted?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 11:29:34 am »

tomkatz,

It is unfortunate that the changed artist wasn't noticed immediately - an Undo would have corrected the inadvertent change.  But that's spilled milk...

The tags may still be available in iTunes - don't know for sure, as I don't really use it much.  iTunes, like Media Center, manages both its own internal database of file tags, and updating the tags in the media files themselves.

Media Center by default writes tags back out to the files; if it has not already done this, you can ask MC to Update library from tags (right click tracks, Library Tools > Update Library (from tags).  This will cause MC to re-read the tags, and populate its database with the file tags.

If that is not an option (because the Artist tags have already been updated), then you may be able to re-construct the artist tags if you have your files in some form of Artist\Album folder scheme, or possibly from your media file names.  This may not work as well for compilation albums, but entirely depends upon how you location/name your media files.  If you need to explore this option, please describe your media file location/naming scheme.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up