INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which version of JRiver...?  (Read 2461 times)

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
Which version of JRiver...?
« on: January 08, 2012, 05:35:07 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I am new to JRiver and was wondering whether you could advise on which version would be best for my needs. I am purely going to use the application to play lossless FLAC files to an external DAC via USB. I see there is also a Jukebox version but I don't believe that is updated as frequently as the Media Center version. Also, do all the products run native 64bit as I am running that version of Windows premium on my system - so would prefer to make the best of my system resources. Being new to things and MC being the best option, should I jump right into the beta MC 17 version or go with MC 16?

I don't mind paying for the software but if Jukebox will do the trick for me and run as a native 64bit application, then that would be better on the wallet!  ;)

Cheers,
Vin.

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Which version of JRiver...?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:49:52 pm »

Help Anyone...?   :-*

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:54:02 pm »

17, no brainer.  :-)

The software application runs in 32-bit mode, and runs fine on a 64-bit system.  Internal processing uses 64 bits.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:27:02 pm »

I thought the Jukebox was a legacy product at this point.

MC is worth EVERY single penny.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:01:01 pm »

Thanks for the feedback all - I am surprised JRiver is not a native 64bit app but I guess it uses 64bit for internal processing which should help a lot with performance. Just wanted to make sure I am getting the best possible audio playback software for the price which it would seem that way given some of the comments and articles I have read.

So last but not least, I guess I should start with the latest beta version 17 and just go through the upgrade process as new updates and eventually a final production release becomes available correct?

One more question, I believe JRiver is also able to rip CD's - do most people use the built in ripper or best to use another tool like dBpoweramp?

MrC

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:18:21 pm »

The (approximately weekly) "beta" updates are generally pretty stable.  You can set the update channel to grab Stable or Latest versions, but really there is no notion of alpha/beta here.  Features are released, and they are tested by the devs and some additional people.  Once seemingly safe-enough, the update is pushed to the top of the latest MC forum board and available for auto-update.

It would be difficult to know what percentage of people use the built-in ripping vs. external.  With a Secure rip to a lossless format, that's generally good enough.  Two features that people desire (that is not currently in MC) is 1) post-rip file testing (eg. the flac tool's -t option) and 2) AccurateRip (which will probably not happen in MC as the devs feel it is more of a solution looking for a problem).

Re: (1), I've only encountered a couple of file issues over the years of ripping with MC (after switching from EAC years ago), and both of these were likely due to memory CRC errors.  Running a flac.exe -t found the errors, and re-ripping the couple of files was not an issue.

Re: (2), if you can't hear/notice any issues during playback, AccurateRip really is a problem looking for a solution.

nonsub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 01:04:32 am »

I moved quickly from MC 16 to MC 17 Beta. Although I am not doing any ripping or really anything other than organizing and playing my media my take is that the what JRiver is calling beta is more "final" than many other pieces of software!

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 12:43:49 am »

Thanks for the feedback and advice all. I will be going straight to MC 17 but now just wondering whether I should use it to make perfect bit copies of my CD's or wether to use another product in dBpoweramp. Open to any recommendations and thoughts on this as I only want to rip once given how long it takes and again, happy to make the investment in order to get the job fully done. Thanks!

MrC

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 12:23:16 pm »

Thanks for the feedback and advice all. I will be going straight to MC 17 but now just wondering whether I should use it to make perfect bit copies of my CD's or wether to use another product in dBpoweramp. Open to any recommendations and thoughts on this as I only want to rip once given how long it takes and again, happy to make the investment in order to get the job fully done. Thanks!

Good to hear.  I've given my opinion above.  Since you're now on MC17, might be beneficial to post your advice search in the MC 17 board to get more hits.  Once people move off an older version, there tends to be a little less traffic in the old(er) boards.  I think there are a number of threads in the forums here too (search EAC or dbpoweramp).

VinBob

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 03:14:19 pm »

Thanks and will do! :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up