INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 176.4 music files won't play with WASAPI in exclusive mode on Win 7 [Solved]  (Read 2796 times)

Horst L.

I am having absolutely no issues with MC 16 other than I cannot seem to get any 176.4 music files to play.  I am using MC 16 in WASAPI Exclusive mode, feeding a Meitner MA-1 DAC thru USB.  All other sample rates work fine all the way up to 192, including 44.1 & 88.2.  When I try to play a 176.4 music file I just get silence.  The sample rate indicator light on the DAC indicates that a 176.4 signal is incoming but there's no sound, just silence.  I've been fiddling with many different settings for a week with no luck.  When I switch to Direct sound out I get sound but the quality is poor, so I at least know the files are not corrupted.
Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks- Horst

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird

When you are using WASAPI Exclusive, MC informs if playback is not possible in the outputted format. Since the device indicates that it receives the 176.4 kHz sample rate, and e.g. 192 kHz works correctly, I would suspect a hardware problem. Have you contacted Meitner?

BTW, the Meitner site lists a firmware update from December 2011. Unfortunately no change log is available. Have you installed it?

For now, as a workaround, you can set MC16 to resample all sample rates that are below 44.1 kHz or over 96 kHz to 192 kHz in DSP Studio > Output Format. It will not resample the 192 kHz audio data because in that case there is nothing to do. MC has a higher quality (and more CPU intensive) resampler than the Windows 7 audio subsystem. Direct Sound can play the 176.4 kHz files because it is actually using the built-in Windows resampler and resamples all audio to the sample rate that is defined in the Windows Sound options.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Horst L.

Alex,
Thanks for your response.  I contacted Meitner yesterday and have already received a response asking me the same question.  I am in the process NOW of installing the latest firmware, which is a bit of a chore.  Hopefully this resolves the problem which, like you I am starting to believe lies w/ the DAC.  I will let you know how it turns out.  Cheers!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.597440,126.965584

Horst L.

Well, I just finished installing the latest Meitner firmware and...........SUCCESS!  My 176 kHz files are playing now and sounding beautiful.  Thanks Alex, I appreciate the assist.  I just recently got into this whole computer audio thing, before that I was more or less a traditional audiophile, listening to vinyl and CDs one at a time.  I must say I have re-connected with my music again.  I still don't think the sound quality is at the level of my vinyl rig, but it is close enough that the convenience factor makes up for any lack of sonics (which is very little anyway).  I believe this is still in it's infancy and that it will get a whole lot better still.

I also want to add that Gregory at Meitner Support was very responsive and helpful.  I've asked him what the firmware changes consisted of, when I hear back I will send an update.  Thanks again!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.597429,126.965589
Pages: [1]   Go Up