INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are the differences between different audio drivers actually audible?  (Read 2728 times)

Lunatique

• World Citizen

My question is: We're told that Direct Sound, which goes through Windows system, sounds worse than ASIO, kernel streaming, and WASAPI. But does it REALLY sound WORSE? Can people really hear any differences between Direct Sound and the other drivers? Personally, I don't think I've ever heard any audible differences, and I'm an audio professional (composer, sound designer) working with high-end gear in a music production studio.

Because ASIO often hijacks my computer's audio even after I close MC, I'd prefer to not use it and use Direct Sound instead, but I just want to know if there are any other issues besides "perceived" sound quality differences.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
Re: Are the differences between different audio drivers actually audible?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:45:34 am »

Empirically speaking, there is less processing done to ASIO/KS/WASAPI output  (assuming my understanding that Direct Sound goes through the Windows Mixer while ASIO/KS/WASAPI do not is correct) and so less likelihood of sound degradation. I believe that the Windows mixer was not as good in previous versions of Windows as it may be now.

Whether or not you, or anyone else, can actually hear a difference between the output modes will depend upon the quality of the audio hardware's drivers, the hardware itself, the listening material/environment, and your ears.

I don't know if I can hear a difference between direct sound and WASAPI but since I have experienced no issues using WASAPI and it is recommended by Matt, I use it. Similarly, I don't know if I could hear the difference between FLAC and V0 MP3 because I haven't taken the time to ABX test; I just use FLAC at home for "serious listening" /archival purposes and MP3 for mobile use.

Use whichever output works best/most conveniently for you; if you don't hear a difference, then it doesn't matter if there is one.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 03:09:19 am »

When using DS, all audio is processed by the Win mixer.
As a consequence all output is dithered.
On a 16 bit DAC this is at -96 dBFS so probably audible.
On a 24 DAC this is at -144 dBFS so probably inaudible but I do hear a difference!

If the sample rate of the audio doesn’t match the sample rate in the sound panel, the audio is resampled.
The Win resampler is probably not the best there is.

Using ASIO or WASAPI bypasses the mixer so you avoid the dither and allows for playing everything at its native sample rate (if your hardware supports it).

I do hear a subtle difference between DS and WASAPI.
WASAPI sounds more transparent to me.
But as in all things audio: YMMV

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 05:16:44 am »

Personally, I have had little luck using Directsound, simply because there was no way I could get glitch-free audio playback. I stick to ASIO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up