INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SoundBlaster X-Fi HD USB  (Read 10066 times)

Marlene

• Recent member
SoundBlaster X-Fi HD USB
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:04:24 am »

On my new and first blog (shameless self promotion  :D) Marlene's Musings I´ve written a little review about this lovely card from Creative Labs and I´d like to write something about it here too.

Thing is I´m very lucky with it. Surprisingly so I might add. I had an X-Fi Extreme Music before and while it worked very well the sound quality sucked. So I was a bit doubtful if I should purchase this Creative interface. But for my laptop I only wanted to have a way of connecting my headphones to a decent amp/soundcard without having a multitude of components - and I also wanted a cheap solution (my boyfriend would have killed me if I´d opted for a more expensive solution). But the more I listen to it the more I´m starting to use - and like - it. This card has been bliss so far... the sound is very good, especially when one considers how much it costs. It´s not audiophile as Creative states but the parts are still high quality. And the internal design and the parts seem to be well designed and well used when one considers the price range. I still don´t know how the Phono-preamp works (with real amped RIAA EQ or with a built-in software solution) but I´ll find out soon. Oh, the card won´t do 44.1 and its multiples on its analogue in- and outputs - it misses the quartz necessary for it. But the digital in- and outputs can do this with bit-transparency.

And the best of all: the card works asynchronously. I was a bit surprised because Creative could have used it to appeal to the audiophile community. But well, that community probably won´t take this thing serious - but they should. To me it´s a hidden gem and I´ve been very happy with it! The sound is good, crisp and dynamic with good staging. It´s a bit on the fresh side though and compared to my ASUS Xonar Essence ST it misses a bit authority and dynamic. But it´s good enough that one can speak of catering to different tastes instead of "being worse" than the ASUS. I especially love how good its articulation is.

Has anyone else made any experience with it?

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: SoundBlaster X-Fi HD USB
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:48:07 pm »

I have one and it sounds great.
I use it with Ultrasone HFI 780 headphones.
I have MC setup to output 96000 because it can't handle 44.1.

The one thing that bothers me about it, and it bothers me a lot, is i get a code 43 when i use.
It is some sort of usb driver issue with windows 7. I have updated firmware and drivers and even done a reinstall of windows.
I have tried lots of things but nothing helps. Every time i want to use it i have to close MC, unplug it, then plug it back in and restart MC.
The problem has nothing to do with J River. Its a creative/windows issue.
Im looking for a replacement. Not made by creative.

Marlene

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:18:28 am »

I have one and it sounds great.
I use it with Ultrasone HFI 780 headphones.
I have MC setup to output 96000 because it can't handle 44.1.

The one thing that bothers me about it, and it bothers me a lot, is i get a code 43 when i use.
It is some sort of usb driver issue with windows 7. I have updated firmware and drivers and even done a reinstall of windows.
I have tried lots of things but nothing helps. Every time i want to use it i have to close MC, unplug it, then plug it back in and restart MC.
The problem has nothing to do with J River. Its a creative/windows issue.
Im looking for a replacement. Not made by creative.

You are getting a Code 43? I´d be bothered too... There are numerous reasons for this:

1. The drivers for USB or the chipset are too old -> update the drivers for SATA, PCI, AGP, USB and/or everything else.
2. The power supply for this particular USB port is too weak

The reasons for this error could be the driver from Creative or another driver that´s needed to run the Creative. This Code 43 issue is a typically USB-related error. What mainboard and what chipset do you use? How old or how young is it? What else is connected to your USB ports?

If you would replace your Creative you could still run into the same problems depending on how the different works or is powered. Replacing the Creative therefore possibly isn´t the solution to your problem...

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:18:04 am »

Thanks Marlene
I just received more support from you than i could in a lifetime from creative.

You were nice enough to give me some advice so i will apply it.
I will attempt to get my soundcard working properly.

I have a these devices always connected to my usb ports: 2 Flash drives, 3 powered usb2 hardrives, 2 powered usb3 hardrives, wireless mouse/keyboard, creative x-fi usb hd.
I also have pcie creative x-fi titanium...... connected.
Then there are these devices that are sometimes connected: 3 mp3 players, 3 non-powered hardrives, numerous windows ce devices.
All work perfect and i have never had an issue with any of them other than the x-fi usb hd.

I will try updating drivers tonight and report back

Thanks

Marlene

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 06:41:44 am »

Thanks Marlene
I just received more support from you than i could in a lifetime from creative.

You were nice enough to give me some advice so i will apply it.
I will attempt to get my soundcard working properly.

I have a these devices always connected to my usb ports: 2 Flash drives, 3 powered usb2 hardrives, 2 powered usb3 hardrives, wireless mouse/keyboard, creative x-fi usb hd.
I also have pcie creative x-fi titanium...... connected.
Then there are these devices that are sometimes connected: 3 mp3 players, 3 non-powered hardrives, numerous windows ce devices.
All work perfect and i have never had an issue with any of them other than the x-fi usb hd.

I will try updating drivers tonight and report back

Thanks

You´re welcome.

Judging from the devices connected to the USB ports it could be a power related problem (although unlikely since the 3 external HDD are self powered) or a problem with available data rates. After updating the drivers (which possibly won´t have an effect) you could try disabling one HDD after another and see if that improves the situation. The thing is from what I´ve read USB sound devices sometimes don´t like to share USB hubs with other devices. You could buy a USB PCI-X card with the intention to be used by the Creative only. If that doesn´t improve the situation Creative offers the solution of disabling legacy USB support in the BIOS - not an option for me since my keyboard needs the legacy support.

I´ve connected the Creative to three different devices (an old Centrino laptop with 855 chipset, a newer SL510 and my P45 chipset-equipped Desktop PC) and never had any problems whatsoever.

On the Desktop PC I have one USB flashdrive, a printer, the mouse, a keyboard and an external self powered DVD drive connected to the USB ports. I can run both my external E-MU 0202 and my Creative at the same time without any problems.

Since yesterday though the Creative uses its own hub; I bought a USB bracket for an unused USB port on my mainboard (I´m quite paranoid although I never had problems).

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 12:24:23 am »

Its working now.
I updated my bios and my chipset driver. Not sure which one fixed the problem.
It now takes a while for my computer to start up because i have to wait for it to start each usb drive, one after another.
Before it just started. The updated driver is 3 years old. Its for vista and from the dell website.
I'm using windows 7 with SP1 and its included drivers for everything but my GPU and now this.
My computer has never been connected to the internet so its possible windows update could solve this problem too.

Thanks for your help.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:27:00 pm »

It only worked right for a few days and its back to annoying me.
I am no longer using it.

I have been using creative sound cards for a long time,
mostly because its difficult to get anything else where i live.
I have 5 creative cards/dacs.
They have never disappointed me, but they really haven't
done anything special for me either so I'm upgrading.
I have been thinking about music fidelity V dac II, but can't get shipped.

I'm about to order a new laptop and noticed i can get the Asus Xonar Essence One USB Dac
from the same online store. Since I'm already paying a fortune to ship the laptop I'm going
to get the dac at the same time.

My new system will be:

At home:
Zone One
 Xonar Essence One USB Dac
 Ultrasone HFI 780 headphones
 Stereo from the 80's
Zone two
 Creative titanium x-fi...
 Emotiva A-100
 Axiom M50 v3

For travel:
Nuforce uDac2
Shure SE425

I will continue to use my creative titanium x-fi........ in my second zone. For now.
It works perfectly, though i dislike the creative audio control consoles.
I have decided to also get rid of my 5.1 surround system and replace it with stereo.
It is unbearable to listen to small surround speakers in one zone when compared to decent
floor standing speakers in the other zone. Stereo only for now on.

My SoundBlaster X-Fi HD USB inspired me to upgrade from creative.

jvandyk

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 05:41:19 pm »

On my new and first blog (shameless self promotion  :D) Marlene's Musings I´ve written a little review about this lovely card from Creative Labs and I´d like to write something about it here too.

Thing is I´m very lucky with it. Surprisingly so I might add. I had an X-Fi Extreme Music before and while it worked very well the sound quality sucked. So I was a bit doubtful if I should purchase this Creative interface. But for my laptop I only wanted to have a way of connecting my headphones to a decent amp/soundcard without having a multitude of components - and I also wanted a cheap solution (my boyfriend would have killed me if I´d opted for a more expensive solution). But the more I listen to it the more I´m starting to use - and like - it. This card has been bliss so far... the sound is very good, especially when one considers how much it costs. It´s not audiophile as Creative states but the parts are still high quality. And the internal design and the parts seem to be well designed and well used when one considers the price range. I still don´t know how the Phono-preamp works (with real amped RIAA EQ or with a built-in software solution) but I´ll find out soon. Oh, the card won´t do 44.1 and its multiples on its analogue in- and outputs - it misses the quartz necessary for it. But the digital in- and outputs can do this with bit-transparency.

And the best of all: the card works asynchronously. I was a bit surprised because Creative could have used it to appeal to the audiophile community. But well, that community probably won´t take this thing serious - but they should. To me it´s a hidden gem and I´ve been very happy with it! The sound is good, crisp and dynamic with good staging. It´s a bit on the fresh side though and compared to my ASUS Xonar Essence ST it misses a bit authority and dynamic. But it´s good enough that one can speak of catering to different tastes instead of "being worse" than the ASUS. I especially love how good its articulation is.

Has anyone else made any experience with it?

Hi Marlene. Great blog as I just found it on a search. My question is- I am running MC18(wasapi event style) to the Creative HD and outputting the Toslink to my DAC(a dinosaur Adcom GDA700, which still sounds awesome for 44.1). Does the digital output still benefit from the asynchronous USB feature or should I put in my Theta TLC for some jitter reduction? Will I benefit converting the toslink to coax as well..enjoyed your blog..thanks.

andrevi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:31:22 pm »

Hi Marlene,

Had this DAC/Phono Amp for 2 years until I decided to "upgrade" and went for HRT Microstreamer.  The HRT Microstreamer is a level above in terms of soundstage, transparency and detail.  But then the HRT is $175 vs $90 for the X-FI HD.

I thought that at it's price point (less than $150) it was up there among the best.  The HRT Microstreamer at its price point (less than $400-$500) would be a top DAC as well.

In terms of portability, HRT wins hands down (small as a lighter).

I use Shure SE 425 IEM which has more than enough detail to hear differences.

Thanks.

csimon

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:26:36 am »

Quick question for those with a SoundBlaster X-Fi HD...

Does it, or can it be set up with MC to, output 5.1 via its digital output while simultaneously downmixing to stereo and outputting that on its analogue L/R jacks?

I'm not sure whether this is an exclusively 2-channel device or not, the web site does mention 5.1 in one place buried away in the specs, but it's not made a big deal of like the Surround 5.1 model is.

I'd like it to be used as a 5.1 sound card with digital output, so that's one thing, but also for it to automatically output simulltaneous analogue stereo, whether it can do that on its own or whether it needs MC to be set up with two linked zones for that.

Can someone advise?
Pages: [1]   Go Up