INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some of my video files were "updated" with podcast information/descriptions  (Read 1077 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day

It happened sometime last week, and I have no idea what actually caused it.  The only thing I can think of out of the usual is that I had moved some files from one physical hard drive on my unRAID server to a different physical hard drive, but still using the same "share", so this should have been invisible/unknown to MC.  This was started and done by a PuTTy session using the mv command in Linux.

However, after this process finished (about a day), many of my TV episodes that got moved had podcast descriptions.

I thought I had managed to remove them all, and just wrote it off as a "one-off" weirdness.  However, today I was updating some videos, and noticed that the 'mouse-over' description of a file still shows the podcast description, but the actual description field/tag is blank.  It's very weird, and certainly not correct, and I have no idea how to fix it.

The screenshot below might help explain better.
pretend this is something funny

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

but still using the same "share", so this should have been invisible/unknown to MC.  This was started and done by a PuTTy session using the mv command in Linux.

Actually, it wouldn't have been invisible.  Cross-filesystem mv's have to create new directories and files, which would have updated the directory and file time stamps.

When you want to duplicate a file system hierarchy, use tar, rsync, or any other utility that has "archival" capabilities (eg. preserves timestamps, ownership, etc.).

(FYI: mv within a filesystem only changes the timestamps of the old and new parent directory).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day

Actually, it wouldn't have been invisible.  Cross-filesystem mv's have to create new directories and files, which would have updated the directory and file time stamps.

I am absolutely not arguing, since I don't know for sure, but I was thinking it would be invisible to MC since the files are in the same "share" the whole time.  It was just a backend change on unRAID.  I moved the files from /mnt/disk1/video/TV/Archive to /mnt/disk3/video/TV/Archive, but they always stayed in the "V:/TV/Archive" share/structure which didn't change the way they were presented to Windows.

However, it still doesn't explain why video files have podcast descriptions, and why I can't eliminate them :)
pretend this is something funny

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

You're right, there isn't a clear and obvious connection to the new descriptions appearing.

When remote, multi-platform network file systems are involved, software is left with 3 ways of detecting file changes:

1) timestamp changes, as a heuristic that content is likely to have changed
2) file size changes
3) content examination

The move would not have affected (2), and (3) is very expensive so typically would not be employed.  That leaves (1) as the most common method used to cull possible change lists for additional examination via (3).  And this is what likely triggered MC to do ...something...

(note: some file systems + OS's have additional semantics for triggering changes; such notify-on-change capabilities though are not implementable in older network file system protocols such as SMB, NFS, etc., so only 1-3 above are available typically).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

struct

• Galactic Citizen

possibly unrelated.... for no apparent reason yesterday mc kept prompting me to overwrite podcasts because it was moving files with the same name.  I have done nothing to podcasts for a million years so don't know why it wanted to do something now? I didn't ask it to move anything.

Again perhaps unrelated.... but MC populated (or cleared) the majority of my database with blank entries.  For each song within an album there were two lines.  One with the name etc of the song (stacked if necessary) and the other simply blank with no filename.  I had recently replaced a HDD and windows messsed with drive letters on first startup which boots into MC.  I reset the drive letters to as they were prior to adding the new drive reasonably quickly.  I just put this oddity with the blank entries down to MC having some issue with the messed (but fixed) drive letters.  I just did a smart list and deleted all blank entries.  But it was nevertheless odd and I have lost all of my playlists as they pointed to the blank entries (have to consider a restore later tonight).

Craig

Pages: [1]   Go Up