INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AVis, and MKVs no longer being imported as video  (Read 2063 times)

galahad1974

• World Citizen
AVis, and MKVs no longer being imported as video
« on: January 08, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »

So I look at my imported folder the other day and notice that non of the Video files i've received in the last few weeks are there. After looking for a while i find them listed as Unknown for 'Media Type'. I've changed nothing on the server other than upgrading my version of MC (i know everyone says this, but really, i've been out of the country for 3 weeks, it worked before I left, I installed.46 before i left, and just noticed the issue when i got back.

Any idea what happened? Or more importantly, how do i tell it to import them as video again. the file types are showing under video in options.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
Re: AVis, and MKVs no longer being imported as video
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 10:17:12 pm »

bump

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 01:32:48 am »

Anyone? J. river?

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 05:27:26 am »

First, update MC17 to a new build. Things might have been fixed for this sort of problems.

Under the Auto Import Rules, you can add that Media Type is set to Video automatically. In this case, this auto import have to be of videos only. For the files already imported, you can select the unknown video files, and tag them manually with the Action window and tag tool.

If you can play this videos ok in MC, and the import still treats them as unknown (try this before adding the Type to the import process), then I'm afraid I have little more to add. The automatic setting of the Media Type might help, but it's not the best solution...
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 08:39:44 am »

Sorry, forgot to add that i ungraded to the latest build. Additionally i checked and the auto import settings are all set correctly, and the videos despite being an unknown media type, if launched from outside media center play fine. I really appreciate the replay and trying to help.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 02:00:35 pm »

When you change the media type to Video and try to play the files, do they play?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 02:18:26 pm »

Are you using Red October Standard or HQ, or one of the advanced settings?

If they are showing up as "unknown" media type, it is because MC can't render them when it imports them.  If MC can play them later, then something weird is happening during import.  My guesses on your problem are:

1. If you are using an advanced setting for video, try changing it back to ROST or ROHQ and trying it again.

2. If you are monitoring a download directory while the files are downloading, try setting your download application to move the files elsewhere when complete, and then monitor that folder instead (uTorrent makes this easy).  Sometimes if MC is trying to import your files while they are still in the process of downloading, it will mark them as "bad" (because the partial download fails to render).  This usually gets fixed and the files import when they're done, but they don't always get re-analyzed.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 08:15:27 pm »

these are both excellent suggetions.

When you change the media type to Video and try to play the files, do they play?
Yes

2. If you are monitoring a download directory while the files are downloading, try setting your download application to move the files elsewhere when complete, and then monitor that folder instead (uTorrent makes this easy).  Sometimes if MC is trying to import your files while they are still in the process of downloading, it will mark them as "bad" (because the partial download fails to render).  This usually gets fixed and the files import when they're done, but they don't always get re-analyzed.
unfortunately, this is exactly how i have it set up :)

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:10:21 am »

What? You are importing the download folder, or are you moving the files after download? If the first is correct, then you should really try to do as Glynor told you. Move files after download is finished.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 11:02:51 am »

sorry, to clarify, i have it set up as he has suggested.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 01:45:44 pm »

deleted

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 04:09:48 am »

So, you've set up the files to a temp download folder, and moves this after download finishes and then import automatically. You can play the files after changing the Media Type. Video files is still imported as unknown Media type.

I'm not sure what more can be done here. One more question and a possible workaround comes to mind:
The files is imported in the regular database? Not the Bad data database (need a special search string to find this database)?
As you found the files so easily I guess not. This is not a real solution, but rather a workaround.

You can create a separate folder for the videos and have a separate import rule for those. Setting the Media Type as Video under import. Check the options in the import dialogue. This should work, but it's not very elegant.

Anyone else have some suggestions? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up