INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transferring select files to a portable hard drive  (Read 3292 times)

Robert H

• Junior Woodchuck
Transferring select files to a portable hard drive
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:24:42 pm »

I DJ from a netbook using an external hard drive.  I want to switch over to MC and am trying to sort out how best to do this.  I don’t want to put all of my music on the drive if I can avoid it.  I’m finding plenty of information on network servers but not on a portable scenario like I am thinking about. I now have a custom category “Dance” that identifies the files I want to take on the road.  I “think” I need to make a Dance Library and transfer that to the Drive and then Sync MC on the netbook to the drive.  Can someone e give me some ideas on this or point be at the right stuff to read?
Thanks
Robert

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Transferring select files to a portable hard drive
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:45:07 pm »

I did something similar; here's how I handled it.

Tools - Options - Handheld.

Add Device, set the path as music folder on the external drive.

Create a smartlist that includes your Dance category, and check that as your sync option.

Now you can sync your external drive. Any additions you've made to your Dance category will be included in future syncs.

Robert H

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:08:56 pm »

that sounds like a great solution. Ill try it.
Thanks Wig
Robert

Vincent Kars

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:33:53 am »

You can find more info and screenshots also here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68790
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Robert H

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 12:53:16 pm »

I did something similar; here's how I handled it.

Tools - Options - Handheld.

Add Device, set the path as music folder on the external drive.

Create a smartlist that includes your Dance category, and check that as your sync option.

Now you can sync your external drive. Any additions you've made to your Dance category will be included in future syncs.

what did you do on the other end?  In my case I connect the netbook to the external drive that was setup as a Handheld (root folder "DJ").  I do not want to transfer those files to the netbook (small internal drive) so for starters I tried to create a new library in the external drive (F:\DJ\) but MC returns "cannot create library at this location".

As I'm typing its committing that I might just extend my existing library to include F:\DJ\ but I really want it to be separate...

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 01:04:21 pm »

On your netbook, create a new library on the local disk, or in a separate folder on the external HD (not anywhere within the same folder as the handheld files).  Configure that libraries auto-import to include the external HD's music folder.  When you connect the drive, you can either run auto-import manually (place a button on your toolbar if this is more convenient), or wait the short time it takes for MC to run it.

This does not transfer files; rather, the MC database is populated with entries that reference the files on the external HD.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:08:08 pm »

what did you do on the other end?  In my case I connect the netbook to the external drive that was setup as a Handheld (root folder "DJ").  I do not want to transfer those files to the netbook (small internal drive) so for starters I tried to create a new library in the external drive (F:\DJ\) but MC returns "cannot create library at this location".

As I'm typing its committing that I might just extend my existing library to include F:\DJ\ but I really want it to be separate...

Try this. Create a new library on the netbook. Call it DJ, or whatever you like. Cancel the auto-import, then under Tools > Import > Configure Auto Import, remove the default folder and just set up your F:\DJ folder location as folder to watch.

Then just load your DJ library when you want to access the external drive files.

Robert H

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 02:56:50 pm »

Perfect, thanks Wig, my problem was I hand not created an empty folder for the library to reside in, I had only set the path.

I noticed that my custom fields "dance" and "dance style" did not end up on the drive.  I have to go back and sort out how to get that data to transfer as well.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 03:04:27 pm »

Perfect, thanks Wig, my problem was I hand not created an empty folder for the library to reside in, I had only set the path.

I noticed that my custom fields "dance" and "dance style" did not end up on the drive.  I have to go back and sort out how to get that data to transfer as well.

Did you choose 'Save in File Tags' when setting up your fields? Make sure to go and check it, if not.

If you already had Save checked,, just create the same fields in the new library and the data should magically appear. Otherwise you'll need to select your files and choose Library Tools > Update Tags from Library, then delete the files from your external drive and resync.

Robert H

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 07:46:53 am »

Otherwise you'll need to select your files and choose Library Tools > Update Tags from Library, then delete the files from your external drive and resync.

Thats what I had to do and it worked.
Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up