INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick Lesson in Burning DVDs  (Read 1351 times)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Quick Lesson in Burning DVDs
« on: January 25, 2012, 12:52:13 pm »

I have used MC for years for audio, but never for video. I just ripped a short DVD (non protected) and it plays correctly in MC. When I try to burn it, I drag and drop the DVD from the Movies screen to the burn area, it says there is 1 file of 69 MB, which appears to be just one IFO file. The rest of the IFO files and VOB files do not appear in the burn list and do not seem to get written to the DVD. The burned DVD only has 1 minute of content on it, out of about 25 minutes total. In the disk directory there are 4 IFO files, 5 VOB files and 4 BUB (backup files). Clearly I am missing something basic. Any help for a struggling video novice?

JohnT

Re: Quick Lesson in Burning DVDs
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:45:32 pm »

DVD's in Media Center are treated as one "aggregate" media file even though there are multiple related files underneath.  So it's normal to see just one entry in the burn list following dragging/dropping a DVD onto the burn window. 

I'm afraid that what you are trying to do (burn a copy of your ripped DVD) is not currently supported.  The DVD video writer in Media Center is not full featured and is basically designed for burning a set of home videos onto a simple DVD Video disc.  If a ripped DVD is dragged into the burn list (as you are doing), by default the longest title will be burned to the output DVD.  In your case it sounds like the source DVD consists of a bunch of short titles and it's simply burning the longest (1 minute) title to the output disc.  I think it would be a nice feature to add DVD copy ability, along with an ISO burning ability.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:01:23 pm »

Thanks John. I did not realize the limitations. Any suggestions on a software package (preferable free) that would make a usable DVD out of these files?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:03:07 am »

I ended up using Free Dvd Video Burner V3.1.3 from DVDVideoSoft, copied from CNET. I just had to point it to my VIDEO_TS folder and it wrote the DVD. It is a very simple little program. It does not seem to have a lot of options, but it wrote the DVD fine for me. I am sure there are more powerful programs out there, but this was quick and easy for my short DVD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up