INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This is quite strange, read this, i could just be lucky  (Read 828 times)

JaredH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Superfluously Articulate
This is quite strange, read this, i could just be lucky
« on: May 14, 2002, 12:49:52 am »

Forst of all, knock on wood, but 90% of the problems people have been reporting with bugs and what not due to sound cards and crackin and popping and the such, and also other problems that ive seen people report in the latest release thread. I havent really had a single one, most of mine have been odd occurences, such as the CDDB problem and such. Which is also funny because the computer tech here in town says ive always got the strangest computer problems hes ever seen. Now thats bad when a computer tech tells you that. And my problems are never easy to fix. The perils of trying to keep a perfect machine up and running. Constant tweaking, monitoring, cleaning, monitoring drivers and such. I swear i spend more time working on this box than i do on my job. One of my other problems is that im an upgrade FREAK. I cant keep anything on here that is older than 5 or 6 months with out getting a rash and developing withdrawl symptoms. I have this box open so much that i wear a grounding strap to bed with me at night. But luckily all my hard work seems to pay off. Everyone who is oblivious to the important things in a computer tells me that it runs like a dream (if they only knew). But its a never ending process. If i leave it alone for more than a day, i come back and everything is all screwed up. Ahhh the life of a computer junkie.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

DocLotus

RE:This is quite strange, read this, i could just be lucky
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2002, 05:09:05 am »

Dito, Dito, Dito.

I have been working on PC's since the early days (1981) & have long believed the following...
* No "normal" person can keep a PC running.  “Normal” meaning you have a real life with real people outside of computers.
* Has anyone noticed that the phrase "User friendly" has long disappeared in reference to PC’s?  I have never seen a truly user friendly computer (especially my own or any of my friends).  Maybe a MacIntosh?
* Keeping a Windows PC working over a long time without problems is next to impossible.  Change one little thing here & something (days later) will be found to be messed up & you have absolutely no idea why it is suddenly acting screwy.
* Many problems take 10 - 20 days to find & 10 - 20 seconds to fix.
* If Microsoft says the latest version is “Faster”, “More reliable”, etc, don’t believe it.  It’s still the same old unreliable Windows with or without DOS (and that includes XP).  I have been running Windows since 1991 (3.0, 3.1, 3.11 for workgroups, 95, 98, 98SE, XP Home & XP Professional).
* XP is nice but not quit there yet.  Even without DOS it has its own set of problems & the learning curve is much higher then previous versions (are you ready to be a network Administrator even if you are a single user running on a single computer at home?).  XP was designed to be run on a network & many network items get in the way of a truly "User friendly" XPerience!

Otherwise... HAVE FUN, you insane person.

NY40Male

Hey Jared
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2002, 07:08:48 am »

Hiya Jared

im the same way...the one thing that i do is to Norton Ghost my system
then when i need to "try" something new in software and it doesnt work
or do what i need it to do...then i re-wipe the system with Ghost
and have a new copy to "play" with again
i reGhost mine at least once a week
just thought you might like to know

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
  • network admincomputers, dogs, tattoos
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2002, 07:19:48 am »

Fess up!  If you weren't all tinkering junkies you wouldn't be beta testing this or any other software!  Admit your skin tingles at the thought of a new OS or piece of hardware!
Brian

DocLotus

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2002, 08:22:49 am »

I can feel the chills going up my back now waiting for the next MJ 8 beta.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2002, 08:46:12 am »

I must be even more blessed, because my PC runs like a dream and I don't have to spend all kinds of time fixing things.

There are a couple of rules I always follow though, and I know most people don't.

1. I always use name brand hardware. PC's are one arena where generic isn't always "just as good". There's a reason that MS has the HCL for the NT product line, after all.

2. I avoid beta software as much as possible, with few exceptions from products that have a really good track record. The same goes for drivers.

3. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Stebajo

• World Citizen
  • Every move you'll make I'll be here with you
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2002, 11:53:09 am »

---* Has anyone noticed that the phrase "User friendly" has long disappeared in reference to PC’s? I have never seen a truly user friendly computer (especially my own or any of my friends). MAYBE A MACINTOSH?

Yes,
in my opinion  Macintosh System 7.1/7.6 was really superior in "User friendly" vs Windows 95, but now since W2K to Win XP, it could be luckily different... Next Page

P.S. I went to buy my own PC only since  year 2000.
Doof, I agree totally with you.
I could add to the list many strange utilities and many CD burning progs at the mean time...
Pages: [1]   Go Up