INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change rating up or down based on playcount/skipcount  (Read 2278 times)

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Change rating up or down based on playcount/skipcount
« on: January 26, 2012, 01:23:02 pm »

I was wondering if someone could help me come up with an expression to automatically update ratings.? I understand that this would have to be a custom, expression field and wouldn't change the actual rating tag but wanted to see what my results would be.  I would like to be able to increase a rating based on number of plays or decrease based off skip count.  I don't have any firm numbers so the following are just examples.  I am also not sure if a last played/skipped date would be to complicated or add any value to the formula.

I was thinking that if a track has been played more than x times then the rating should be x.

>25 = 5
>20 = 4
>15 = 3
>10 = 2
>5 = 1

Conversely if a track has been skipped more than x times then the rating should be decreased by one (or skipped x number of times in x timeframe).

>5 skips decrease by one, and then every 5 skips down again by 1? 

I don't know if there is a way to track or reset the "count" - so I guess you could do the following:
>5 skips - -1 rating
>10 skips - -1 rating
>15 skips - -1 rating

I saw this older thread in which they were trying to do something similar based of a timeframe - but seems a bit complicated and was taking up a bunch of memory.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64668.0

Thanks in advance for your help or if you have alternative suggestions or ways to rank songs I would love to hear it.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Change rating up or down based on playcount/skipcount
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 03:03:42 pm »

I just checked my play counts and skip counts. There are many songs that have similar numbers in each tag. Many of the songs I would consider 5 star have the highest number of skips. The reason is that I listen to these so often that sometimes I can't finish the song and stop playback. In other words, the skip count for me has nothing to do with how I would rank the songs.

Rather than update the rating, you could add a library category view showing play counts and sort in descending order. This will group the songs by the number of plays and display the number of plays in the thumbnail text. You could easily select your top number of plays and update the rating manually. You can also use this to select songs for a playlist or condition it to show all songs with number plays greater than 10. I just created a view for myself and found it interesting which songs had the highest number plays count.

Pages: [1]   Go Up