INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC doesn't see SB Touch  (Read 3697 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
MC doesn't see SB Touch
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:40:27 am »

Good day all!

At my buddy's house when we plugged in the Touch it showed up as a Zone.

I cant get my MC at home to see it.  My 2 MCs see each other and can play each's libraries.  So that is working well.  LMS is running etc...

What gives??  Any suggestions?

thanks!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: MC doesn't see SB Touch
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:08:05 pm »

Use Whitebear, as it is a much better solution than the DLNA/UPnP implementation in LMS.

http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver

Have a quick read of the page as it describes what you need to use UPnP on your systems/network gear.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:36:00 pm »

Why though?  I use MC for everything.  And with WB you need LMS running as well.

It works perfectly at my boy's house.

I guess i will just stick with my juli@.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

MrC

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 12:09:14 am »

You can use what you wish.  It seems you want to use DLNA/UPnP - why not use the best implementation available for your SBs?  You'll still be using MC.  Are you not the same person that continues to recommend Naim excellence?

So back to your issue...

Your post is pretty sparse on any actionable details.  Have you configured your router and Window's box to pass / support UPnP?  Have you enabled the DLNA portions of MC?

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 12:43:06 pm »

MrC,

Thanks for helping me. 

A little more info on my system:

I use DLNA with MC all the time.  I have 2 DLNA servers set-up in MC.  One (called "Remote") is set to transcode to "Medium Bandwidth MP3" for streaming to PlugPlayer when I am away from home. 

The other ("Naim") is set to send full resolution.  I used to use this at home so I could use PlugPlayer as a control point (with MC as Server AND Renderer).  The advent of the JRemote app has made this server obsolete as I no longer require UPNP at home.

I am not sure on the specific router settings vis-a-vis MC other than I opened up ports 52100 through 52199.

I also opened up port 9000 for the LMS, but that didn't change anything.

On my buddy's system (he has the exact same MC build and my library backup for settings), I simply connected to Touch to his network, started LMS and "Squeezebox Touch" automatically popped up in the "Playing Now" Area where I can see other zones.  I didn't have to do any specific in his router settings.

He has different music and whatnot, but I gave him my library back-up as he liked my MC settings but didn't feel like trying to recreate them on his own.  I backed up my library, installed into his MC and then deleted all of "my" music, and redid his auto import.  Now he has his music and my settings.

Regarding Whitebear, I thought it was a different Media Player of some kind, from looking at the screenshots.  If this simply runs in the background I am totally not opposed to it.  It is just strange that my buddy's MC has no issue seeing, and working well with, the Touch.

Touche on the Naim comment.  I have no problem using the best tools for the job while attaining the best digital output possible.  That is why i am wanting to try the Touch as a potential digital out to my Naim DAC.  I currently use a Juli@ which requires that my PC be on the same circuit as my hifi.  I dont expect a huge sound quality delta but my mind is always open.

Thanks again!
Patrick

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 01:31:29 pm »

Just a guess but some of the newer versions of the LMS have a DLNA plugin. It works (for mp3's anyway) but doesn't seem to support seek properly. When I installed a new LMS on my test box it had the plugin enabled but upgrading LMS on a different machine didn't enable the plugin. It's all a bit fuzzy...

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 01:40:07 pm »

I see the DLNA plug-in in Advanced Settings and it is enabled.  Both on my machine and my buddy's.

It worked on his system with 24/96 flacs.  His Rega DAC verified the his freq rate.

We both have the same LMS and MC build.

The only other variable would be our router settings.  He doesn't have anything going on that I dont, and vice-versa.

The only non-common element I can seeis he is running Win7 and I am XP.

Thanks again you guys.
Patrick

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 01:58:04 pm »

Perhaps you aren't seeing the SSDP broadcasts on your home PC.
Possibilities could be:
Firewalling on your PC
Something on your PC grabbing port 1900 UDP exclusively
A router between your PC and the SB that is blocking 1900 broadcasts (for example, if you PC is connected via LAN and your SB connected  wireless or vice-versa your might have a multicast filter on your router blocking the SSDP packets even if your LAN and Wireless are both on the same logical segment).

pcstockton

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 02:59:49 pm »

thanks bob,

For what its worth, LMS is working to play from th Touch itself.  Just doesn't show up as a zone in MC.

Im checking router settings now.  Also, I tried a different PC in my house and it isn't seeing the TOuch.  Nor does PlugPLayer.

Thanks,
P

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 04:51:06 pm »

Bob and MrC,

I went through all of my router settings closely.

Also, it looks like SB as exceptions in my firewall.

I went into Plug-ins/Services in MC and went to the networking tab.  It is showing 100s of attempts or something at port 1900.  It is constantly doing something there.  But it continued when I unistalled LMS so i figured it was normal.

Otherwise I have no clue how to check if something is grabbing 1900 exclusively.  I dont have any other servers running or even installed.

Both J river DLNA servers are working properly to send music to PlugPlayer on my iPhone.

I guess anything beyond the above is beyond my skill set.

Thanks for helping anyway.  I do appreciate it.

-Patrick

MrC

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 05:00:53 pm »

In Windows XP's Help and Support (Start Menu), enter the word "upnp" and search.

Review tasks #2-4, checking each of the settings as per the task's instructions.

Let's see where that gets you.

pcstockton

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 05:20:59 pm »

I will check as soon as I return home.

One thought.  UPNP works perfectly in every other way, e.g. I am listening to MC on PlugPlayer right now via my "Remote" server.

But I will check those settings in Help and Support right away and report back.

thx again,
Patrick

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 05:39:13 pm »

thanks bob,

For what its worth, LMS is working to play from th Touch itself.  Just doesn't show up as a zone in MC.

Im checking router settings now.  Also, I tried a different PC in my house and it isn't seeing the TOuch.  Nor does PlugPLayer.

Thanks,
P

Probably already check it, but do you uPnp turned on on in LMS? 

-Paul

pcstockton

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 05:46:31 pm »

yes sir.  Plug-in is enabled by default.  I toggled it off then back on just to check.

Logitech Support (after 40 minutes on hold) told me that they dont support DLNA on Squeezeboxes.  It is only a Plugin in LMS for the "Revue" product.

I know this isn't true though as Ive seen it working myself.

-Patrick

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 07:03:36 pm »

yes sir.  Plug-in is enabled by default.  I toggled it off then back on just to check.

Logitech Support (after 40 minutes on hold) told me that they dont support DLNA on Squeezeboxes.  It is only a Plugin in LMS for the "Revue" product.

I know this isn't true though as Ive seen it working myself.

-Patrick

I just tried it here, and could not get any sound of our Touchs. MC did see the Touch's though, and thought it was playing to them. :)

-Paul

pcstockton

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 07:30:43 pm »

In Windows XP's Help and Support (Start Menu), enter the word "upnp" and search.

Review tasks #2-4, checking each of the settings as per the task's instructions.

Let's see where that gets you.

Everything was already set up as it should according to those instructions.  I even tried just turning the firewall off entirely.  Still nothing.  I then disabled my antivir to boot.

I went through all of my router settings again.  Multi-cast Filter was ON.  So I unticked the box.  Rebooted everything.  Power cycled the router. Reinstalled LMS. 

Nothing still.

I am out of ideas.

Thoughts?  Or should i simply ditch the Touch?

Thanks everyone,
Patrick

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 10:59:42 am »

Everything was already set up as it should according to those instructions.  I even tried just turning the firewall off entirely.  Still nothing.  I then disabled my antivir to boot.

I went through all of my router settings again.  Multi-cast Filter was ON.  So I unticked the box.  Rebooted everything.  Power cycled the router. Reinstalled LMS. 

Nothing still.

I am out of ideas.

Thoughts?  Or should i simply ditch the Touch?

Thanks everyone,
Patrick
Disable the DLNA plugin in LMS and try WhiteBear? (it's free)

pcstockton

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 11:57:12 am »

many thanks for the help all.

I will see if I can get Whitebear to work.

I glanced over the Whitebear site though and it isn't clear exactly how this would work.

Would Whitebear show up as a Zone or something?

I really dont want to run to different servers.

Thanks again,
Patrick

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 01:11:55 pm »

I glanced over the Whitebear site though and it isn't clear exactly how this would work.

It is easy: Install Whitbear on the PC that LMS/SBS is running on.

Would Whitebear show up as a Zone or something?

Each of your Squeeze players appears as a zone / player in MC "PlayerName (by Whitebear)", and your SBS/LMS library appears as a library in MC "LibName (by Whitebear)". See screenshot in the attachment...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

pcstockton

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 02:13:31 pm »

Thanks Andrew.

Do I actually need any files in the LMS library or does it just need to be running.

Also, can I delete the LMS library in MC?

I will try it at home as soon as i get there.

If i can get this rolling I can finally see for myself if SB Touch can better Juli@'s digi output.

Cheers!
patrick

MrC

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 02:33:30 pm »

Leave the files and LMS alone.  Just install Whitebear, and look for the zones.

pcstockton

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 11:23:43 pm »

Thanks again for the help everyone.  Whitebear worked perfectly.

Going to enjoy a few nights of seshing to see if the SB brings anything to the party.

In the throes of a combo "Post-Punk", "Post-Rock" Play Doctor sesh now.  Been at it for a few hours.  All is well.

Cheers!!!!
Patrick

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 04:04:20 am »

Whitebear worked perfectly.

Glad to hear it. The bear is cool !!!

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up