INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to play large MT2S or MKV files.  (Read 2961 times)

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
Unable to play large MT2S or MKV files.
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:36:04 pm »

I using a Dell XPS (L702x) i7 2720QM 2.20 GHz, 8 GB ram, Geforce GT 555M (video card), 64 bit Win7.  All drivers are up to date as of today.  In RO HQ or Standard I cannot play any files 15GB or over.  I can play any standard def files just fine, file size from 3 to 5 GB.  File types are MT2S and MKV either one does not work.  I using build .99, although it been like this on this laptop from the last few builds.  I also have two video stations that has GTX 580 and 570 cards - works like a charm.  

Could it be the GT 555M that's the issue?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Unable to play large MT2S or MKV files.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:03:41 pm »

What is the error message or details of the failure? Which previous version of MC were you runnning when the files played? Can you revert back to it to confirm?

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 06:27:26 pm »

What is the error message or details of the failure? Which previous version of MC were you runnning when the files played? Can you revert back to it to confirm?

No error message just really bad choppy / stuttering play.  never ran good with ant version.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:12:04 pm »

It's not the file size that is the issue but the bitrate (much higher than DVD).  Anyway, have you tried toggling "Tools --> Options --> Video --> [] Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" on and off.  Also - I take it you are not trying to play these files over WiFi but from the Laptops HDD?
JRiver CEO Elect

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 04:50:25 am »

No error message just really bad choppy / stuttering play.  never ran good with ant version.

Like jmone said you should copy movie to local drive and try playing from it - if you are not already playing from there.
Also, go into Tools>Options>Video> Display settings and make sure to check box for "Enable Automatic Display Settings Changing". Then try setting the "Film (23.976 fps)" to 1920x1080x32x23.
On your computer go into Video Card (nVidia) properties and see what your display is set to. I had problems with this myself - try setting display to 1920x1080 (even if just to test) and then try playing your movie.
Also, what is the Audio set as? Are you using Direct Sound or WASAPI-Event or something else (in MC)? Are you using DSP to downmix the sound to 2 channel (laptop) or do you connect to another set of speakers?

I don't think your hardware is the problem. I'm not familar with the GT555M but the rest of the system is more than enough (at least for RO). I googled the card and found this http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-555M.41933.0.html  - so it looks like the card should be able to handle your video content.

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 08:10:27 am »

It's not the file size that is the issue but the bitrate (much higher than DVD).  Anyway, have you tried toggling "Tools --> Options --> Video --> [] Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" on and off.  Also - I take it you are not trying to play these files over WiFi but from the Laptops HDD?

OK,

I did some back and forth testing with the MT2S file 3:10 to Yuma.  It plays very well copied to the local drive on all settings.  However, when playing over the WIRED gigabit network from the unRAID server is where the very choppy play comes in.

Network card maybe?  Let me see if I can update the drivers for it.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:19:40 am »

I had issues with my wired network a while back (choppy playback of streamed BD material like you described) and it turned out that I had "Flow Control" disabled in my network settings. I also read that Jumbo Packets should be disabled (or set to smallest packet size if disable is not an option). I fixed these two things and it fixed my choppy/stuttering playback.

There is a program that tests network latency - maybe you should try it too.  http://www.thesycon.com/deu/latency_check.shtml

Good luck.

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 10:35:39 am »

I had issues with my wired network a while back (choppy playback of streamed BD material like you described) and it turned out that I had "Flow Control" disabled in my network settings. I also read that Jumbo Packets should be disabled (or set to smallest packet size if disable is not an option). I fixed these two things and it fixed my choppy/stuttering playback.

There is a program that tests network latency - maybe you should try it too.  http://www.thesycon.com/deu/latency_check.shtml

Good luck.

OK - I will use this program.  Where in the setting did you make these changes? 

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:16:28 am »

Sure enough,

I'm getting drop outs, not much - but a few here and there.  Flow Control is already enabled.  Jumbo Frames is already disabled. 

So now how do I isolate the problem driver?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:35:28 am »

If you run the latency checker and there are "red bars" in the graph, you would start by disabling "devices" (in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager ) one at a time until the problem device/component is found (then rerun the program and no red bars indicates the problem device has been disabled).

The instructions are on the website where the program is located.

Obviously you can't disable the device if it's your video card or Hard drive, but you could disable Sound, TV Tuner, USB, internal modem/ethernet, etc.). However, if the latency graph does not show a problem, there is no need to go any further with this idea/test.

I suspect the problem is going to be with a setting (either graphics card or MC) but first you should make sure there is not a specifc device causing the problem.

PS. Did you make sure you have the latest nVidia drivers? Which appear to be 295.73  http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-295.73-whql-driver.html

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 01:27:45 pm »

I have to say... Be careful going down the DPC Latency rat-hole.  A simple circle buffer (which both Windows and MC implement) should make DPC Latency completely irrelevant.

To be clear: I've seen similar stuttering when playing high-bitrate files back in ROHQ on my HTPC (which is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.5GHz).  The CPU just can't quite handle it.  Of course, the same files play fine for me on that machine in ROST mode.

I'm not sure what you are using there, but it could be CPU performance.  Of course, if playing the file back locally fixes it, then that indicates that your network is probably flaking out (but not necessarily, maybe your CPU is so overworked that it can't handle the 5-10% extra load required to drive the network stack that hard).  If you are trying to do something crazy like play back a 20mbps H264 compressed MKV on an Atom while pulling the data from the network?  Yeah, your problem is that you are just CPU-bound.

In the real world?  I'd be suspicious of your cabling or your Router/Gateway/Switch before anything else.  Gigabit Ethernet should be able to sustain around 800mbps (100 MB per second) in a transfer pulled from a sufficiently fast source.  If it can't it is usually:

1. Bad cabling causing unacceptably high error rates.
2. The Router or Switch might be flaky.
3. The drive the data is being pulled from can't sustain adequate speed (failing, fragmented, bad cabling, or on a "bad" bus like USB).
4. The network stack in Windows is buggered (spyware, bad drivers, etc).

I'd suspect things in roughly that order.

Other stuff can maybe cover up these problems, but the root cause is almost certainly one of those.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 03:51:14 pm »

Works fine for me, I am viewing 8GB-12GB true 1080P .mkv movies over my home 1Gb network and they play fine.

To be honest, the clarity compared to some other programs I have is amazing, well done JRiver  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up