INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding multiple tags  (Read 1295 times)

branty1970

• Recent member
Adding multiple tags
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:31:14 am »

Is it possible to put multiple tags in a filed like genre for a movie? I want the same movie to appear in Action and Sci-Fi for example. I thought that putting Action; Sci-Fi would do it but that just creates a new Genera called 'Action; Sci-Fi'. It's not the end of the world if it's not possible but as one persons Action is another's Comedy I thought it would be good to cater for the differences.

Thanks,
Martin.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Adding multiple tags
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:50:35 am »

The Genre field is a simple string.  While you can add semicolon separated values, the standard views don't recognize them as anything special - its just a long string.

You have two choices essentially:

1) modify the views to use expressions to split and present multiple values
   2) create your own Genres (note plural for distinction) library field, which is of type List.

Using the native list types has many advantages.  The downside is that your own fields are not standard, and external software won't utilize these tags as you would desire.

Here's a big, excellent thread about these matters: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57477.0
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

branty1970

• Recent member
Re: Adding multiple tags
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:11:01 pm »

Great! A bit of reading, a bit of playing and now it works a treat! Thanks for the pointer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up