INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new to tv...mix of questions about tv feature  (Read 2261 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
new to tv...mix of questions about tv feature
« on: January 17, 2013, 04:54:13 am »

On the newest version of JRiver 18 - 18.0.112 on Server & Clients

1. playing now... is it possible in standard view after chosing a channel to watch. to see what is playing along with the channel letters...example when i click inside playing now video window, then hit the down arrow it says Kare-HD - Jeopardy. is it possible to have what is playing on that channel in the playing now list (auto updates as new shows start) and also in the top bar of standard view. right now it just shows Kare-HD in bar as well.

2. how do we set recording on clients? we are in theaterview/Display view. but cannot seem to find a record option...on clients in theaterview / display view if i hit the down arrow, it doesnt show like on server what is playing (Kare-HD-Jeopardy), resolution, recording, signal... is this normal? not implemented yet?

3. does jriver timeshift continue to record the current channel after someone has hit stop? is it possible to tell jriver to continually record a channel/channels (however many tuners you have) for the amount of time timeshift is set at in settings? meaning if i sit down on any machine (like a satellite box) i would be able to shift back 4hours for that channel that was on? or if we want to watch a movie, can we go back to tvguide and time shift backwards four hours?

4. i just noticed today, and was under the impression if i got the hauppauge card and threw it on the server that all clients would be able to watch tv... im on workstation now and have kare-hd paused, then went to htpc and played the same channel, then went to laptop and im getting a warning that there are no tuners available.... is there anyway to have remaining clients (past the amount of tuners you have) be able to still watch TV but only be able to chose 1 of the 2 tuners available?.. basically i'd like to be able to stream news to all jriver machines from same channel if possible? similiar to how satellite boxes work once you have used up your tuners.

5. audio/video are out of sync when watching tv (2 devices at the same time) videos, music, play fluidly.. could this be An OTA issue? no satellite or cable to test with at the moment.
Antenna i purchased - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063705PE/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

6. .JTV / .TS is there anyway to record in a different format? h264 . mp4 etc... so that the recorded file is playable anywhere with any device?

7. Recording.. tonight i was on the server, and had been watching kare-hd (news) well i had been watching it for about an hour. and some thing popped up on the news i wanted to save to show my son. so i clicked on record. it said recording. then after that news discussion was complete. i hit cancel recording (this was confussing to me. cancel i was worried it would cancel and delete.. but it didnt it saved it.. maybe stop recording would be less confusing for us noobs?) then i went to my time shift drive, and played the file. it was only 54 seconds long? but yet i had the channel on kare-hd for the last hour... any ideas what i may have done wrong? is it possible to move the progress slider to the exact location where you want to start recording from? this would be stellar!

8.  does timeshifting work with clients? GF has been watching a different channel for the last 3 hours (KMSP) and in my time shifting drive (located on the server) there is no KMSP channel folder? then i changed channels, and went to time shift drive on server and nothing showed. i also tested thsi with other clients in the home. maybe a networking issue on my end? shares seem to be working though via explorer.

Thanks for clarifications

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: new to tv...mix of questions about tv feature
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:47:47 am »

1. No.
2. The best way to schedule recording on client is to use standard view.  In display view (while you are watching), you can not set recording.  In theater view (guide) you can select a show and choose "Record".
3. No.  Time-shifting stops when you hit stop button, unless you have scheduled recording on the channel, in which case recording/time-shifting continues and you can go back to the show any time while recording is going on.
4. Each tuner can only be tuned to one channel at a time.  If one client is watching channel A, the second client can only watch channel A, and can not watch channel B.  The number of channels that can be watched simultaneously on clients depends on how many tuners you have on the server.
5. It probably is not an OTA issue.  Are you using Red October Std or HQ?  Try turning on Video Clock option if you have not done so.
6. Those are the only two formats available.  JTV is more reliable.  You can use video conversion tool to convert the recordings.  TS format is portable to other computers.
7. Not sure what was wrong.  While you are watching, you should use On Screen Display (OSD) menu to start recording (you can also use mouse right-click).  You should get options to "record current program", "record current hour", "record current two hours" etc.  Alternative to recording, you can also use Save time-shifting in this situation.
8. Yes.  On client you are actually playing a recording that is done on the server.  Therefore it is just like playing any other files from server.  There is no timeshifting folder on the client.  You can pause, unpause, rewind, etc.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 04:05:28 pm »

Thanks Yaobing for clarification
2. The best way to schedule recording on client is to use standard view.  In display view (while you are watching), you can not set recording.  In theater view (guide) you can select a show and choose "Record".
Will this be implemented in the future? all from theaterview? none of our clients are set to use standard view, only theaterview.

4. Each tuner can only be tuned to one channel at a time.  If one client is watching channel A, the second client can only watch channel A, and can not watch channel B.  The number of channels that can be watched simultaneously on clients depends on how many tuners you have on the server.
well i only have 1 port left on server. is there such a thing as a pcie board? where one could plugin 5-10 cards? and then just plug that into server? maybe im not asking goggle the right question, but not coming up with anything.

5. It probably is not an OTA issue.  Are you using Red October Std or HQ?  Try turning on Video Clock option if you have not done so.
on server video mode is set too Red October HQ, hardware accelerate is unchecked, and video clock is checked

8. Yes.  On client you are actually playing a recording that is done on the server.  Therefore it is just like playing any other files from server.  There is no timeshifting folder on the client.  You can pause, unpause, rewind, etc.
is this on the todo list? be implemented in the future?
Thanks again!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:46:09 pm »

Will this be implemented in the future? all from theaterview? none of our clients are set to use standard view, only theaterview.

I wasn't making myself clear.  Recording can be scheduled in Theater View on clients.  You just can not do it in Display View (while watching).  All you have to do is to switch to Theater View and go to the Guide and choose programs to record.

well i only have 1 port left on server. is there such a thing as a pcie board? where one could plugin 5-10 cards? and then just plug that into server? maybe im not asking goggle the right question, but not coming up with anything.

Yes there are a lot of PCIe tuner cards.  You should get one with multiple tuners on it (like 2 tuners, or even 4 tuners).  Or you can go with one of Silicondust's HDhomerun devices.  They are network devices that is plugged into your router (not in an USB port on your computer) that also come with multiple tuners.  Once set up, the tuners are available on every computer on your network, as if they are local tuners.  Simultaneous use by different computers is of course still restricted by the actual number of tuners.  You can still choose to use them only on server (by simply not installing the drivers on the client machines), if you do not want to deal with tuners on both server and client.

on server video mode is set too Red October HQ, hardware accelerate is unchecked, and video clock is checked

And the issue is seen on server I suppose.  Does it help if you jump back a few seconds (by pressing LEFT arrow key once)?  What about switching to RO Std?

is this on the todo list? be implemented in the future?

What to implement?  The backing files are on the server.  You can play, pause, rewind, fast forward.  That is all about "time shifting".

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 04:52:28 pm »

I think I might have misunderstood you.  You mean you have only one PCI(e) slot left on your computer?  And you want to know whether there are such thing as PCIe expansion board?  I do not own one but I imagine there must be such thing.

If you are short on PCIe slots, you can also consider using USB TV tuners.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 05:44:12 pm »

I use a USB tuner on one of my computers, it works great. You can install as many USB tuners as you have USB ports (maybe even a USB hub would work to add more tuners - I don't know). I suppose the limitation would be getting the signal to the tuner (OTA signal splitter, etc.). The USB tuner I use now is the Hauppage HVR 950Q.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 07:24:34 pm »

I wasn't making myself clear.  Recording can be scheduled in Theater View on clients.  You just can not do it in Display View (while watching).  All you have to do is to switch to Theater View and go to the Guide and choose programs to record.
sorry, i phrased it wrong...could i add a request to enable the recording option in display view on clients as it does on the server?
(like 2 tuners, or even 4 tuners)
Any recommendations for 4 port pcie?

And the issue is seen on server I suppose.  Does it help if you jump back a few seconds (by pressing LEFT arrow key once)?  What about switching to RO Std?
possible backup/restore settings bug... I was under assumption that the server sent all settings to clients when connected? if so. i checked server, and that was on RO HQ i lowered to std. then went to clients reloaded server library and tested tv... one worked like silk.. beautiful, the other the audio was crystal, but video was very jittery and off. so i went to settings on client for the server library, and RO was set to HQ not std... after switching all clients and server to std, video and audio are perfectly in sink... thanks!

If you are short on PCIe slots, you can also consider using USB TV tuners.
ill have to do some reading up on the differences between pcie/usb.

I use a USB tuner on one of my computers, it works great. You can install as many USB tuners as you have USB ports (maybe even a USB hub would work to add more tuners - I don't know). I suppose the limitation would be getting the signal to the tuner (OTA signal splitter, etc.). The USB tuner I use now is the Hauppage HVR 950Q.
well now im stressing a little less. ive got LOTS of usb ports. :)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:36:03 pm »

sorry, i phrased it wrong...could i add a request to enable the recording option in display view on clients as it does on the server?
ironically gf just called from  store, and heard the tv on and asked what i was watching, well being im on client in theater room. i had forgotten pressing the down arrow will not show what im watching. i had to leave displayview/ hit stop so it would go back to playing now section to see what i was watching... it would be great to see what is playing now, and recording available from with in display view as it is on server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up