INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to set up a Stereo 3-way system using digital x-overs  (Read 2171 times)

JustinM

• World Citizen
How to set up a Stereo 3-way system using digital x-overs
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:58:32 pm »

I'm sure some of you guys are running your stereo setup this way, and I am interested in going this route..  I was under the impress this was being done through j.river..   Currently I'm running an electronic x-over. The only way I see it being done is  to run seperate zones for tweets,Mids, and bass..  Is this how people are doing this type of sett-up?  Can the zones be perfectly syc'd ? 
I'm using RME babyface, which (as it sits) has 4 descret channels out plus a digital out (which I will use for the bass)
The RME babyface shows the different channels (1&2, 3&4, digital out ) in windows as though they were from different sound cards,, I don't think this is like a normal sound card, so I would also like to confirm this isn't going to cause a problem..

P.S.  Incase it matters, I will be ordering audiolens xo in a couple of weeks, (the mic is in the mail :) I haven't looked into the options of of using Audiolens for this purpose yet..

-Another question:  Are digital x-overs immune to phase shift ?

Thank guys for any guidence and recomendations

-Justin

JustinM

• World Citizen
Re: How to set up a Stereo 3-way system using digital x-overs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:36:24 pm »

Okay, If I had a surround-sound card, I could easily use the surround chnls for mids, or tweets, and I'm good to go.

My card won't work that way..

So going the route of using seperate zones,  I see I can assign the different output channels (sound card).. and link them to play together, and again I good to go to apply the x-overs and volume adjustments...    It seems It should work well.. I was worried it was gonna get messy :)  I'll need to go and pick up some new cables before I can try..  
- Has anyone set up their system this way??
- Once set; Will the linked zones timeing and volume remain perfectly in sync ??  ( I assume I'll have to be carefull with some of the seek/crossfade type settings..)
- and again is there phase shift with digital x-over?? Are the x-overs in the dsp/parametric EQ applied to the analog signal, or digitaly??
- can convolution still be properly implement with method??

Thanks guys,, I know your out there ,, I'm not the only audio freak here , am I??

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: How to set up a Stereo 3-way system using digital x-overs
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 04:55:06 pm »

I posted this earlier today, and I think it applies here as well:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69858.msg470771#msg470771
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up