INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to customize Theater View - confused  (Read 790 times)

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
Trying to customize Theater View - confused
« on: January 28, 2012, 08:11:50 pm »

I'm trying to add and remove menu items from Theater View and I'm finding some inconsistencies.

- Some items can be nested inside of others, but some items (like Search) always appear at the root level regardless of where I add them.

- If I try to add an item to the Video menu by right clicking on Video and selecting Add..., the item shows up at the root level and there is no way to get it down inside Video. If I right click Shows (which is already inside Video) and select Add..., the library item shows up inside Shows rather than in the root of Video. At this point I can Unnest to get it up one level into Video. But, there is no way to do what I want from the start.

- I created a custom view in Video, in standard view, called Elmo so that we have quick access to my son's Elmo Slide video. Cool, it works. I add it to Theater View under Video (as above). But, when I go to it, it also shows some Elmo song that we have in our library. But the one in the standard view doesn't show this (it's like Standard View gets a bonus filter for being in the Video node, and that doesn't get carried over to Theater View). So, I modify the custom view in Standard View and force the Media Type to be Video (noticing that for some reason, when adding rules, there are FAR fewer Media Types and Media Subtypes available to select than there actually are in my library). I go to Theater View and the Elmo song is still appearing. It turns out this is because when I added the item to the Theater View, it didn't really add THAT item, it basically copy and pasted the item's rules and name, but at that point it is totally disconnected from the Standard View library item. So, I had to delete it and re-add it. Now it works.

- I can remove extraneous menu items from Netflix, but not from Hulu.

- Nowhere in my Theater View tree do I have anything called "Toggle List View", but it appears in several menus. Yet, there's times when I want it and it's not there, and there's no way to add it.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Trying to customize Theater View - confused
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:28:14 pm »

Your first two points may be the same phenomenon. It's always been that way.

Congratulations on figuring out Add Library item from Standard View. Theatre View doesn't work exactly the same way as Standard View, so is never going to add all Standard views as you might expect it should. It's a minor convenience when it works, and potentially confusing when it doesn't. The view you build directly can be modified—these cannot.

Toggle List View is a command, not a view. It changes the view style from within Theatre View. Each view actually has two style settings—one for the navigation part (where Category selections are made) and one for the File List. The command also includes the 3D Wall, which is a completely different view type. It would be nice if the List Style for each view could be set within it's configuration dialog as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up