INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to ?: archive dvds on hard drive  (Read 1447 times)

fzma

• Recent member
how to ?: archive dvds on hard drive
« on: February 23, 2012, 03:29:16 pm »

Hello all,

i am really enjoying having my entire "cd collection" ripped to  my hard drive, that i want to do the same thing for my dvds, and perhaps be able to use jriver to stream them to a roku box in another room, so i can watch them and control the process via gizmo.

i am not asking for someone to hold my hand thru the entire process, but just to point me in the right direction in terms of what software/file format to use for this, and/or useful resources on the web.

thanks,

Mark

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: how to ?: archive dvds on hard drive
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 03:42:07 pm »

You will need this http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html (the AnyDVD is enough for DVDs, but you might as well get the AnyDVD HD in case you want to archive Blu-rays in the future). Plus you need this anyways if you just want to play BDs on your HTPC.

fzma

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:10:58 pm »

Thanks for the quick response.  I own a grand-total of 3 Bluray discs, and have a Marantz Blu-ray player.... my computer does not have a blu-ray drive, so dvd-only is perfect for me.  i have found that i devote most of my main system's time to music listening in the basement man-cave, and tv is in the front room on the main floor, thru a 32" sony.  when there's 'nothing on tv', we use the roku to stream netflix, but i want to do something with the several hundred dvds i have, and lacking a dvd player hooked up in the front room, jriver, gizmo, and the roku as a streaming client would be perfect.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:21:48 pm »

Every man cave needs a big flat screen tv. Once you complete your cave you will want to watch movies from your lazy-boy without having to get up and physically insert a disk.

Another great program (and free) is this http://www.makemkv.com/ I use this to rip my DVDs to a single file for storage/playback on my HTPC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up