INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac + Parallels & JRiver 17= ?  (Read 2618 times)

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
Mac + Parallels & JRiver 17= ?
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:55:00 pm »

Will using JRiver 17 on a Mac along with parallels give me bitperfect music?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mac + Parallels & JRiver 17= ?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 02:08:41 pm »

I've not tested it, so I don't know for sure.

WASAPI in exclusive mode does work.  However, it doesn't block system sounds coming through on the "Mac side".  My guess is no, though you might be able to change the sound device config in Parallels to make it non-shared.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:19:01 pm »

I just looked at the configuration options for the sound devices in Parallels, and there is no way from within Parallels to make the default OSX sound device "exclusive" to Windows.

However...

I also tested with my handy-dandy little USB sound device, and with that, I was able to make it "really exclusive".  When you plug in any USB device, Parallels gives you the option to assign it to the "Mac side" or to the "Windows side" (and to switch back and forth as needed).  I assigned my USB audio device to Windows, and then it installed and showed up like a "real" sound device (instead of routed through the Parallels virtual sound card driver).

Exclusive mode on that was really exclusive mode.  The device didn't even show up in the OSX Sound System Preference panel, and OSX couldn't play any sounds to it.

So, my guess is that your best bet would be to use an external USB sound device and assign it to Windows if you need bit-perfect playback under Parallels.  Aside from that, we'd have to really just test it to see what the normal virtual driver is doing.  If they implemented it smartly, it might still be bit-perfect if nothing is being actively "mixed" from the OSX side, but you'd have to plug in something that can record into the digital output and test it to be sure.

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 02:41:40 pm »

I just looked at the configuration options for the sound devices in Parallels, and there is no way from within Parallels to make the default OSX sound device "exclusive" to Windows.

However...

I also tested with my handy-dandy little USB sound device, and with that, I was able to make it "really exclusive".  When you plug in any USB device, Parallels gives you the option to assign it to the "Mac side" or to the "Windows side" (and to switch back and forth as needed).  I assigned my USB audio device to Windows, and then it installed and showed up like a "real" sound device (instead of routed through the Parallels virtual sound card driver).

Exclusive mode on that was really exclusive mode.  The device didn't even show up in the OSX Sound System Preference panel, and OSX couldn't play any sounds to it.

So, my guess is that your best bet would be to use an external USB sound device and assign it to Windows if you need bit-perfect playback under Parallels.  Aside from that, we'd have to really just test it to see what the normal virtual driver is doing.  If they implemented it smartly, it might still be bit-perfect if nothing is being actively "mixed" from the OSX side, but you'd have to plug in something that can record into the digital output and test it to be sure.

OK Thanks glynor,

My USB device is a V-Link.  I will test it out. 

HiFiTubes

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:04:35 am »

Any idea about library server on Parallels? Wife wants a Mac so bootcamp is on checklist, but curious how LS would perform...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:14:03 am »

Any idea about library server on Parallels? Wife wants a Mac so bootcamp is on checklist, but curious how LS would perform...

I use it.  Works fine both as a client and as a server.

My Mac Pro at the office runs a Library Server that I use from all over the campus on my laptop.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 04:49:44 am »

Thanks Glynor! Still in Maine?  ;D

cheers!

glynor

• MC Beta Team