INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red october HQ black level issue  (Read 2652 times)

gingellr

• Junior Woodchuck
Red october HQ black level issue
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:22:49 pm »

When selecting RO HQ the video black level seems incorrect. As the blacks on blurays are too light.

I have proven this by If i use the DVE HD test disk the blacker than black level can clearly be seen darker than the black level.

If i switch to RO Standard everything is how it should be i.e the btb and the black level are the same and therefor the blurays look as they should.

Is this a bug as I assume the black levels should be the same whether you choose standard or HQ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Red october HQ black level issue
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:43:06 pm »

When playing with ROHQ, try configuring madVR (right-click > Directshow Filters > madVR).  I believe you can specify how to handle black levels (or even use a fully custom 3dlut).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gingellr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:59:03 pm »

Hi,

Yes you can select TV or PC black levels in madVR, mine is set to TV levels which is correct for my setup, if i select PC levels the white is crushed which you would expect.

Just seems strange that you would have to do a full calibration to get basic black levels correct which makes it unusable for me i am using an NVIDIA 430 card if that makes a difference. So dont know if its a general problem or just affecting me?

The standrad setting displays correctly on RO it is also correct when i use another software player.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:44:55 pm »

At AVSForum, the 430 is considered marginal for use with madVR (ROHQ in MC).

gingellr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:34:46 am »

ok thanks, looks I am best to stick with RO std then at the moment.

But curious if the black level issue is affecting all nvidia cards?

Do you think it is worth changing my graphics card to be able to use ROHQ do you think there is much of a difference for Blu-ray?

thanks

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 09:15:34 am »

No. I am using a GT425M in my Vision 3D. RO HQ runs Blu-ray perfect and with correcr black levels.

gingellr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:54:38 am »

Which test disk did you use to check it, did you swap between HQ and std to see if the black levels changed?

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:56:18 pm »

No disk. Just my eyes. With that it is really easy to see if the black levels are off.

TLS.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 12:59:36 pm »

Sorry, meant to add that I own a Kuro TV with exceptional black level. I wasn't trying to bragg about my eyes. :-)

TLS

gingellr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 03:45:48 pm »

No worries :-)

It also depends if your pc is outputting video levels 16-235 correctly and your TV accepts it  so you can see blacker than black, if it is being clipped at 16 or you are using pc levels to TV levels on the display then there would not be a difference between the two. The only way of telling this is with a test disk that has a blacker than black greyscale pattern as this information is not there on normal video material.

For example if i set madVR to PC levels (0-255) the blacks look perfect and as they should on a bluray movie, but on a test disc no matter how you change the brightness there will not be a difference between black and btb or white and wtw for that matter.

If thats the case the blacks will look correct and the same on ROSTD and ROHQ but you will not see any information outside of 16-235 for calibration etc.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 04:49:33 pm »

Sorry, meant to add that I own a Kuro TV with exceptional black level. I wasn't trying to bragg about my eyes. :-)

TLS

I have the Pioneer 5080HD (little Kuro) and as you probaly know, you can set the HDMI input as a Video or PC input. Using Video as input, set MadVR black levels for 0-255, then set your nVidia card to use "Video Player Settings" (not nVidia settings). Then you can adjust contrast and brightness of the TV based on a HD setup disk (like Spears and Munsi) which I rip to HD so it plays back through MC.

gingellr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 05:25:23 pm »

I have the Pioneer 5080HD (little Kuro) and as you probaly know, you can set the HDMI input as a Video or PC input. Using Video as input, set MadVR black levels for 0-255, then set your nVidia card to use "Video Player Settings" (not nVidia settings). Then you can adjust contrast and brightness of the TV based on a HD setup disk (like Spears and Munsi) which I rip to HD so it plays back through MC.

Hi,

Are you sure you have that right? i dont know your tv but you said set the input to Video (16-235) but your madVR to 0-255 (PC)
Normally you should have them set to the same or as in your example  video output 16 would be displyed on your tv as 0 so you could not go below that to get btb?
Pages: [1]   Go Up