INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Theater View animated lists  (Read 62616 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Theater View animated lists in 17.0.80
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 09:32:27 pm »

I'm still not getting Backdrops. Do they have to be enabled somewhere? Don't see anything for them in Theater View settings.

Thanks,
Rod

Make sure you didn't turn off online media slideshows in Options > Theater View > Theme.

Also, the 'Name' field needs to be correct (and possibly of a reasonably common movie).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2012, 09:54:49 pm »

I can barely see them on mine. I'll have to wait and see on my HTPC how it is.

Edit:

Just checked on my HTPC. Just my 2 cents but seems a hair too dark and or translucent on there. What is anyone else seeing?

It could afford to be a bit more prominent and still not detract from the covers... but not too much.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 08:03:24 am »

Make sure you didn't turn off online media slideshows in Options > Theater View > Theme.

That was it. I had Online Media Slide Shows turned off because I could never solve the problem of audible ticks when the images transition during music listening. Turned it back on and now have backdrops. Since we listen to a lot of music I guess I wont be able to use the backdrops.

Thanks Matt.

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 08:12:18 am »

It could afford to be a bit more prominent and still not detract from the covers... but not too much.

For us they are too prominent and really detract from the clean feel of the new animation without backdrops. So if we were to use them we would want them dimmer. Interesting the different reactions to their prominence!

Also my Wife commented that many of them have head photos that are mostly hidden by the large cover. She didn't like that aspect of them. I think that if there was a way to control their brightness that a lot of different people might be satisfied.

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 08:21:17 am »

We are really getting to like the 3D animations and plan to continue using them. As we scroll through we can get a sense of the movie just glancing at the covers. Action movies which my Wife doesn't like (owing to violence) really stand out and she quickly bypasses them. Many of her chick flicks have a particular style that stand out as do old movies.

The large covers are a big part of what makes this work for us, so do hope you will keep them.

It's been interesting scrolling through our large movie collection. We are noticing and checking out several movies that we bypassed in scans using our old view (in Theater View).

So thanks again Matt & Team for all you good efforts on this.

Rod

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
Re: Theater View animated lists
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 11:09:09 pm »

I'd really like to see the descriptions like in the sample.

The reason being last night I switched to this new view to give t a try.   We then decided to watch the next movie in the Harry Potter series, but couldn't remember which one we were up to.
With this view I have to go inot the movie, read the description and then back out to go to the next movie until I find the correct one.

I'd be happy with the suggestion made that the description fades in after a second or so.

Richard

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 11:23:48 pm »

I'd really like to see the descriptions like in the sample.

The reason being last night I switched to this new view to give t a try.   We then decided to watch the next movie in the Harry Potter series, but couldn't remember which one we were up to.
With this view I have to go inot the movie, read the description and then back out to go to the next movie until I find the correct one.

It's one click to get lots more details (that are fully user customizable), and one click to return.

TheLion

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2012, 04:32:50 am »

It's one click to get lots more details (that are fully user customizable), and one click to return.

Matt,

first of all this is a great new feature that certainly will be my default when using Theater View (or simply showing off Media Center). Thank you for that! While trying it out one idea came to me: When I enter the "detail view" of a particular title there are fields for genre, director, actors... IMHO it would be most useful if a click on these fields would select them as criteria for another view. Eg. a click on the director of a movie will show all other titles of that director (again as animated 3d list).

What do you think?

MrHaugen

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2012, 06:24:27 am »

The result is often two clicks, because you'll have to go back out if you don't want to watch it. At the same time, this new screen kind of breaks the flow of things. I never want to use the large info view, but it's kind of forced anyway. This is one of reasons why people want meta data while browsing this way. If info like Seen/Not seen, Title, Description, Genre, Rating, Duration was on this screen, I would never have to go in the Large info view. What meta data people find important is of course very variable. That's why many thinks it's a good idea to be able to customize what info is shown in this view. Hence the idea of a new horizontal info pane which Rick and others have pointed out.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2012, 06:38:52 am »

Thanks from me too for this new eyecandy - I really enjoy it.

One little thing though, when it tries to look up national translations of film titles it does not always find anything.
eg. Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2012, 06:58:36 am »

Matt,

first of all this is a great new feature that certainly will be my default when using Theater View (or simply showing off Media Center). Thank you for that! While trying it out one idea came to me: When I enter the "detail view" of a particular title there are fields for genre, director, actors... IMHO it would be most useful if a click on these fields would select them as criteria for another view. Eg. a click on the director of a movie will show all other titles of that director (again as animated 3d list).

What do you think?
I think it's a good idea.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2012, 12:42:07 pm »

Mouse wheel?

I can use the mouse wheel to move forward and backward through the menu roller.  Should it, or could you make it, do the same with cover flow?

Suggestion (or feature request) - display the cover with "focus" in the center of the screen... today it can be slightly off the screen edge which just seems weird.

Nice to see theater view getting some eye candy.  Last week I put all my DVD's in the closet and now use MC as my video player - this is only possible (for me) due to the efforts of J River to make the video configuration simple.  A shout-out for Red October and all the work of the various developers.

Thanks, FastKayak / Larry

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2012, 08:38:00 am »

This is great! Super!
Eye-candy like this is what MC needs more of. Perhaps it is not for the powerusers but its apealing to the large group of general users, including me.  
What I miss as a next step when selecting a movie is a special movie detail view where the movie-info (synopsis, actors and other details) gets more focus and room.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Re: Theater View animated lists
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2012, 09:28:10 am »

This is great! Super!
Eye-candy like this is what MC needs more of. Perhaps it is not for the powerusers but its apealing to the large group of general users, including me.   
What I miss as a next step when selecting a movie is a special movie detail view where the movie-info (synopsis, actors and other details) gets more focus and room.
You get that if you hit Enter or OK.

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Theater View animated lists
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2012, 11:47:58 am »

Mouse wheel?

I can use the mouse wheel to move forward and backward through the menu roller.  Should it, or could you make it, do the same with cover flow?

Suggestion (or feature request) - display the cover with "focus" in the center of the screen... today it can be slightly off the screen edge which just seems weird.

Nice to see theater view getting some eye candy.  Last week I put all my DVD's in the closet and now use MC as my video player - this is only possible (for me) due to the efforts of J River to make the video configuration simple.  A shout-out for Red October and all the work of the various developers.

Thanks, FastKayak / Larry
Mouse wheel would make it almost perfect :) I like to see a bit more higher quality covers (I use images from IMDB...) and maybe a little bit bigger and better centered... Or could it be possible to move the coverflow 3d-mode to near at the top of the free space and add movie info below it? Or other way around... I am still using the default view, but maybe when coverflow gets improved I would change to it...
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2012, 03:16:04 am »

The backdrops looks about right to me on my computer screen. I will check later on my TV. I wouldn't want them to clutter the screen to much, but at the same time still beeing visible.
Perhaps a setting would be handy here? Screens shows a VERY different picture in general (projector, rear projection tvs, plasma, lcd), especially when it comes to contrast and shadow detail. 

Castius

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:11 am »

This is a really nice new addition.
I really like the idea of controlling what is showen. Like progress bar for previusly watched. This is one of the nice things in netflix.
I'm also still very interested in how can we show people images. There is alot of good metadate in there. I just want more visual ways to present and navigate it.

Thanks!

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2012, 10:37:53 am »

When there is no cover art in the cover-flow-like new list view, the left rendered artwork box edge is not attached to the generic no-artwork image; it just floats to the left of the generic image.

The shade of gray seems ineffective given the darkness of the backdrops.  Perhaps this adds to the feeling of flatness from the single shade / line of gray (vs. a rendered plane)?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2012, 04:22:49 pm »

Perhaps this adds to the feeling of flatness from the single shade / line of gray (vs. a rendered plane)?

I too think the grey "sides" look unfinished. I think they are required for a 3D look but need some polish.

MrHaugen

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2012, 06:38:18 am »

Any chance of fixing the Sheet list type to display cover art correctly? There is still to much of the covers missing. Rendering this list type less useful than it should be.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2012, 05:36:48 pm »

Any chance of fixing the Sheet list type to display cover art correctly?

I don't have an issue with it, but I haven't tested it much. Are you sure you have all thumbnails built?

MrHaugen

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2012, 05:38:29 am »

Of course. I'm not talking about actual missing cover art. I'm talking about the fact that cover art is cut by about 40%. 20% on the top and 20% at the bottom. This makes a LOT of the graphics and text on the covers disappear, and it makes finding the right movie that much more difficult.

This is the same behavior for Gizmo. Gizmo handles all art in a square, and all vertical or horizontal shaped art will be cut off to fit this square positions. What I'm asking is for a bit more logic here, to expand this square to a rectangle to fit the covers. At least when all the cover art in a view are of the same shape. Theater View should be a priority, but Gizmo views should also get some changes here imo.

)p(

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2012, 05:54:50 am »

On vertical lists <right> will select the item. Maybe in the horizontal animated lists <down> could also select the item. You get then a very natural way of a quick look at the details of an item with <down> and then <up> takes you right back when you scroll through the list with <left> and <right>.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2012, 07:03:45 am »

This looks great! Many of my movies has a Danish titel in the Name field and for some them I do not get a backdrop from TMDb. Could we have a fallback so that MC will look up the Original Title field, if the regular Name field does not return with any info for the backdrop?

TLS

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2012, 12:55:54 pm »

On vertical lists <right> will select the item. Maybe in the horizontal animated lists <down> could also select the item. You get then a very natural way of a quick look at the details of an item with <down> and then <up> takes you right back when you scroll through the list with <left> and <right>.

+1

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2012, 01:31:32 pm »

Can the mouse wheel be made to move forward and backwards in the new list views?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2012, 03:15:33 pm »

Page Up / Page Down (channel buttons on your remote) and typed navigation will both be added to 3d lists (just like they're already there with 2d lists).

It might be a couple builds depending on other things, but feel free to remind us if it doesn't happen soon.

A friendly reminder.

Also another plug for being able to scroll from the end of the list to the beginning & vice versa. Would sure be conenient.

Thanks for ALL the work that's been done on the animated lists. We are now using them for most views. Really adds some pizzas and I just find it fun to use.

Rod

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2012, 04:36:36 pm »

I have started to use VNC software on my tablet to control MC (Gizmo does not quite do it for me) and I use this animated list view but when moving the row of albumcovers and the selected album gets scrolled away all covers are then turned towards the selected cover resulting in a very narrow angle of the covers and I can't see them very clearly. Would it be possible not to rotate the covers so much so they are facing the user a bit more, even those in adjesent to the selected cover?

Here is a picture explaining what Im trying to say:

Or is there a way to de-select any album so that the covers is rotated up to face the user more that way?
Perhaps any selected album should be automaticly de-selected when you start to scroll? Or something....

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2012, 06:21:23 pm »

Newbie here ... and maybe there are different views built for the different media types, but ...

Just downloaded version 17.blah blah.99. So far, all I'm doing is music. Another post mentioned that it would be nice to have a ZOOM feature on the 3D wall that would decrease (or increase for the big screens) the number of cover rows. I doubt I'll ever do video - my setup is for an audio HTPC - and the three rows of covers the wall defaults to can be a bit of a strain to see on a 22" monitor located a few feet away.

Be way kewl if there was also a zoom control for the size of the zoom when you hover a cover ... be nice to be able to increase it all the way to full screen maintaining the aspect ratio if you've a mind to.

PS - on the new view you're talking about, I do like the idea of a bit less spin on the covers that are off center from the target ...

Which brings to mind a possible bug ... oh no he din't! ... he said the BUG word!

The covers zoom up when I hover over them ... nice ... but that stops if I do anything with the top menus. Even a mouseover breaks it. Toggling a new list style also breaks the zoom on the new style. If I exit theater view and come back in, the zoom feature is working again. Huh. Maybe some switch needs switching?

Oh. I'm using a wireless Gyration air mouse/keyboard  for control. A bit frustrating at first till I found out the thumbwheel works sideways in the menus (and you can't blame me for taking a while to find that out - I think it was a sneeze clued me in ... wait ... did that just move sideways?). Anyway, I do like it now. Only current annoyance is it seems to automatically click on hover if I leave the arrow in the same place too long. Have to do some digging and see wazzup wit dat.

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2012, 03:21:20 pm »

Something is wrong here,

When editing the xml file for theater View, in these lines:

<!-- Internal borders -->
      <Item Name="" Base="ViewBackground" Placement="Left" Size="0.5%" />
      <Item Name="" Base="ViewBackground" Placement="Top" Size="1%" />
      <Item Name="" Base="ViewBackground" Placement="Right" Size="0.5%" />
      <Item Name="" Base="ViewBackground" Placement="Bottom" Size="12%" />

The old styles acts like they should, but the new animated lists doesn't do it right

This one do it right:

This is wrong:

Thomas

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2012, 06:56:00 am »

Bump

Sorry, I know it was a quick bump,
I just want to know if this will get a fix before I
continue with my idea.

Thomas

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2012, 02:27:51 pm »

Currently 3d lists don't change size.  The layout rectangle defines the center point of the list, but the size will remain the same.

There is no clipper on the 3d projections, so left and right borders will always get covered as you scroll.

Better honoring the top and bottom borders would be a nice improvement, but it's not a simple change due to how 3d projection works.

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2012, 02:52:54 pm »

Ok, to bad :'(

Will have to go in another direction then.

Thanks for replying.

Thomas
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up