INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 88.2 query  (Read 910 times)

Cazzesman

• Recent member
88.2 query
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:31:32 am »

Like all newbies I have been fiddling with the various MC settings.    I came across the following situation that caught my attention.   I'm using JR16 at the moment.

If I set the MC DSP to 88.2 the Yamaha RX-V1900 DAC's I am running the bit perfect stream though from my PC will not recognize the file and won't play the audio.  As soon I change the DSP to 48 or 96 it is fine.   The Yamaha DAC's appear to only want to play 44.1, 48, 96 or 192.    Searching Google struggles to find any mention that the Brown Burr Dac's actually recognize the 88.2.  It appears to be implied everywhere but not actually stated anywhere that I can find. 

Can anyone hazard a guess if this is a problem with the Brown Burr Dac's in the V1900 or a Wasapi issue?    The issue is not huge as far as I am concerned but I was just wondering if there is a reason.

Regards Cazzesman

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 88.2 query
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 07:24:50 am »

A number of things could cause this (I assume you are connecting via HDMI):

1)Your amp doesn't support 88.2 - you can check in the manual
2)Your amp isn't broadcasting 88.2 support in its EDID - you can check this with Moninfo
3)Your HDMI Audio drivers don't support 88.2 - I could get playback of 88.2 with some Intel driver versions, but not with my NVIDIA HDMI Audio drivers. The problem is that driver updates are pushed by the gaming community who have a very loud voice with the video card manufacturers and they wouldn't even notice that an update broke 88.2 support, so the manufacturers may not even know.
4)Something to do with jriver's WASAPI implementation - VERY unlikely!

You may also try WASAPI and WASAPI - Event style. I recall one, but not the other working for me with 88.2 (and 176.4) when I did have it working.

If you have a spare optical/coax SPDIF cable then you could try and get it working through that, just to see if it is possible because the optical/coax port will usually be run by different drivers - probably Realtek in current MoBo's

You can sort of check if the drivers support 88.2 by looking in the Windows Audio dialog at the supported formats. If 88.2 isn't in there then MC won't work either. If Windows says yes, but MC says No, then there may be an issue I guess, but again probably driver related.

SBR

Cazzesman

• Recent member
Re: 88.2 query
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 04:32:46 pm »

HI Sandy,

Thanks for the reply.

Did some more searching and eventually found a tech manual for the V1900 that lists 88.2 in the Sampling list.
Using Toslink at the moment but will try HDMI later today
My PC excepts Wasapi but not Wasapi Event

I was hoping there was a magic fix or else it was just my OR (Operator Error).  Like Nero, I will fiddle on.

Regards Cazzesman

PS  Just checked the Windows Audio dialog and it doesn't look like it supports 88.2, hence the lack of audio at that sampling rate.    Good get Sandy.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up