INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NTFS Junctions and Symbolic links suddenly stopped working  (Read 856 times)

e-head

• World Citizen
NTFS Junctions and Symbolic links suddenly stopped working
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:37:15 am »

In my podcast download directory I had set a couple of my video podcasts to download into a NTFS junction point that pointed off to another directory (on the same drive). For some reason this suddenly stopped working after updating to the latest version (17).

I've tried symbolic links and junctions and neither seems to work.

The file gets downloaded into the main podcast "root" directory, but then an error is thrown along the lines of "problem tagging and moving file". The file never gets moved into the podcast specific directory. Oddly, the thumbnail gets moved into the podcast specific directory just fine, so it seems unlikely it is a permissions issue.

So, after downloading I get something like this:
z:\podcasts\Episode23.mpg
z:\podcasts\TedTalks (video)\Episode23_thumbnail.jpg

Error thrown.

If I can't get this to work (though oddly, it worked just fine for months), is there any way I can point a podcast to download into a folder outside the podcast root directory? In other words, given the above directories (podcast root at z:\podcasts), could I set a podcast to download to c:\video?

Thanks

e-head

• World Citizen
Re: NTFS Junctions and Symbolic links suddenly stopped working
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 08:49:14 am »

Anybody have any ideas for me?

I attached a log dump of the operation.

e-head

• World Citizen
All Video Podcasts having file "saving" issues.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 07:46:46 am »

Okay, this is actually an issue with all video podcasts it seems.

I've tried adding other video podcasts and I get the same problem... says it can't tag and rename, and the podcast just sits in the root podcast folder. Once again, it has no problem creating the podcast folder, and even taking a thumbnail and moving that into the podcast folder. It just doesn't move the file for some reason.

Can somebody at least acknowledge this? Offering a suggestion or two would be even better.

Anyone else having this issue?

BTW, this has nothing to do with NTFS junctions and such. It's just across the board. All video podcast downloads (at least those with .mp4) just end up in the root folder, not in their podcast specific folder, and a pop up comes up about the "problem renaming, moving, tagging", or whatever it is.

This just started with the last automatic update. I didn't have this problem before.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: NTFS Junctions and Symbolic links suddenly stopped working
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:32:24 pm »

Thanks for the detailed report.

Something is going wrong when moving the sidecar image file.

Look for a fix next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up