INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable installation on harddrive not possible?  (Read 1269 times)

bert003

• Recent member
Portable installation on harddrive not possible?
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:57:24 am »

I tried to create a portable installation on one of my pc's.

I have an installed version on my main pc. From that pc I start a portable install to an USB stick. That works.
Then I tried to copy the installation folder to another pc and I am in trial mode again when I start the program. Got an error=21 when I tried to import the license file.

Anyone who knows what is going wrong here?

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Portable installation on harddrive not possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:45:33 pm »

please read glynor @ http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68069.msg458024#msg458024

Jim, maybe glynor's post should be a stickie, lots of folks having questions re: portable installation
MT5FR

bert003

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:53:04 pm »

Thanks, but I did read that and did it that way, as I described.

But I can't get a portable installation working, licensed, on a harddrive of another pc.

After installing as portable it works:

On the harddrive of the pc where the portable install is done
On an USB stick of the pc where the portable install is done
On an USB stick of another pc then where the portable install is done

It works NOT
On an harddrive of another pc then where the portable install is done

Why not? Even the new license key isn't accepted.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 02:24:20 pm »

What you're trying to do is not supported (and outside the scope of a Portable Install).

If you're installing to your hard drive of a computer, you should do a regular install.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bert003

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »

Well ok, that's clear then.
Maybe good to write this restriction in the helpfile because it is not very common.

But the reason I wanted to do this because I am a new user and this program has so many features that I probably will run into troubles in time and have to do a clean install if I have made a mess of my configuration. And since a user can only get 10 times a key-restore a year I thought it is better to create a portable install and make a copy of that so a clean version is always at hand.
It might be better to let the key expire after 30 day's, in that case you can't ran out of keys as licensed user.

Anyway, I will do a normal install then.

Is there any way to revert the program to a totally clean, but still licensed, state?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 03:18:17 pm »

If you ever run out of restores, just post here and we'll fix it.

Settings are part of a library backup, so it's easy to make a backup with everything working and roll back to it at any time.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 04:06:51 pm »

Just backup your library before you start making any changes by going to File > Library > Back Up Library. This will backup your library/playlists and your settings. If you ever choose to restore the library you can restore just the settings if you want. This will put all the settings back to default, but keep the library and playlists that you have setup. Of course you can restore everything from the original backup including library/playlists if you want that, too.

bert003

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 04:22:36 pm »

Well it is too late now to backup a clean library. On the other hand, building the library didn't take that long. It was really fast compared to my Squeezebox server rescan procedure. So no problem to rebuild it again.

Now, if I just delete all library files, do I have the original installation back then?
Pages: [1]   Go Up