INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible ...  (Read 2049 times)

Denis31

• Recent member
Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible ...
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:53:46 am »

... but it seems that video decoding is not accelerated (MC eats 40%CPU on a corei5 2405s when watching a BR disk).
Method "Red October Standard" selected.

Is this OK ?
Thanks in advance, Denis

(MC 17.0.68, Win 7 on a Zotac H67 / corei5 2405s)

roolark

• Recent member
Re: Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible ...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:42:27 pm »

Is your graphics card ATI?

I ask because I've had this problem consistently since RO and "Accelerate when possible" came along.

There is a solution that works though, provided you're using an ATI graphics card.

Use "Red October HQ" with custom filters.

For the custom filters, use Video Renderer: Enchanced Video Rendered and Video Decoder: ffdshow DXVA

That will enable blu-ray playback using hardware acceleration on supported ATI cards.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:25:15 pm »

Denis,
This is fine and I would leave it as it is unless you have an issue.  You really only need HW accel decodeding if your CPU is not up to the task (the actual decoding is exactly the same regardless of where it is done).  That said, some HW Acell decoding can also do high quality deinterlacing that some may notice a difference with pending your combination of GPU drivers etc.

FYI - JR Does currently use HW based accel if your GPU / Driver supports it for MPEG2, AVC, x264 especially for modern NVIDIA GPUs but I expect we will also see it shortly for Intel and maybe also ATI.  To turn it ON/OFF just toggle the check box in Tools --> Options --> Video --> hardware accelerate video decoding when possible.

Just kick back and enjoy!
JRiver CEO Elect

Denis31

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:53:23 am »

Hello and thanks for replying.

Is your graphics card ATI?
Sorry I dit not mention I use the integrated HD3000.

This is fine and I would leave it as it is unless you have an issue
40% CPU has noticeable thermal impact (cooling is passive). My hope was that HW-decoding would lower this impact.

JR Does currently use HW based accel if your GPU / Driver supports it for MPEG2, AVC, x264 especially for modern NVIDIA GPUs but I expect we will also see it shortly for Intel and maybe also ATI.
I did a little testing with MPC-HC and the same BR needs about 20%CPU, which raised my question.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 10:33:18 am »

Your HW decoding is done on the CPU die so you will not get any thermal benefits, however you will free up CPU resources for other programs.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 10:57:53 am »

Your HW decoding is done on the CPU die so you will not get any thermal benefits, however you will free up CPU resources for other programs.

The GPU decoder is far more efficient then doing it on the CPU, so yes, you will get a cooler CPU.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:28:00 am »

The GPU decoder is far more efficient then doing it on the CPU, so yes, you will get a cooler CPU.

I would listen to him.

roolark

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:54:07 pm »

If you have the HD3000, you should try to the custom video decoder ffdshow dxva. It will use GPU for your blurays. MPC-HC uses dxva decoder for the ati decoder, which is how I discovered it in the first place, back in MC 16.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 04:31:29 am »

MC now uses the latest HW Accel for modern Intel GPU's

17.0.85 (2/8/2012)
13. Changed: Intel QuickSync is now supported for video acceleration for VC1, AVC, and MPEG-2 formats.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up