INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Artist/Series Images ever work with a delimited list?  (Read 1107 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Will Artist/Series Images ever work with a delimited list?
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:21:02 pm »

This is not a request(you seam to have enough of them), it is just a question.

My audio has semicolon delimited lists for artist because it's the only way to view many albums properly. It's not really a choice.

My video has semicolon delimited lists for artist and series because I'm anticipating the day artist/series images will work with them.
I am currently reorganizing my videos to take advantage of all the changes to MC in the last year and I'm wondering if i should continue
to wait for this feature or if i should stop waiting and change the way i organize/view my videos.

Any info appreciated

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Will Artist/Series Images ever work with a delimited list?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 01:26:08 pm »

This is not a request(you seam to have enough of them), it is just a question.

My audio has semicolon delimited lists for artist because it's the only way to view many albums properly. It's not really a choice.

My video has semicolon delimited lists for artist and series because I'm anticipating the day artist/series images will work with them.
I am currently reorganizing my videos to take advantage of all the changes to MC in the last year and I'm wondering if i should continue
to wait for this feature or if i should stop waiting and change the way i organize/view my videos.

Any info appreciated

Making artist a list field is a big project.  It's simple from the database side, but since every format saves artist tags, it means updating tagging for all the input plugins.  And then there are the user interface complexities it causes.

So I don't expect this to change soon.

A lot of users create a list field like "Contributing Artists".  This solves the problem reasonably well in my opinion.

Series is a similar answer.  I'm not not even sure what a video with two series would be?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 04:58:01 pm »

Thanks for the info, it is all I needed to know.

I'm not looking for feedback or trying to start a discussion but ill add a bit more info.

I'm not not even sure what a video with two series would be?
I use Artist and Series as a lists for video and documents.
For documents, its for the huge number of subseries/crossovers that happen between different comic series.
Also for when there are 2 authors working together.
For videos its mostly for adult oriented (similar to comic crossovers)
The workaround: No Series/Artist images for documents, and separate video views for media sub types

A lot of users create a list field like "Contributing Artists".
I have a plethora of soundtracks and compilation albums where artists work together as a one time deal.
Instead of 'Artist 1 and Artist 2' I use 'Artist 1; Artist 2'
Most of these artists also have full albums in my library.
Because i can't use lists with artist images this fills the artist list with hundreds of artists that only have one track.
This clutters up category and theater views with one time artists that don't have images.
The workaround: Exclude various artists and soundtracks from theater/category views.

I have been happily working with the way things are and will continue to do so.

Thanks again

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:23:23 pm »

Thanks for making Artist a list field.
It makes a huge difference in how i view my media.

I know as soon as you give users what they ask, another request replaces the last.
But since list fields are being created lately ill post an idea.

I'm assuming Series will never be a list field so an alternative idea for the developers....

Make a new list field and call it something generic like Grouping, or Aggregate, or Set.
Make this list field capable of having images like Series and Artist.
Then users can use it for whatever they want: documents, box sets, image sets, etc.

The Artist and Series images are so nice I would love to be able to so similar things with all media types.

Food for thought

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:45:43 am »

I would very much like the ability to add different images as well, for groups of media. Like box sets, seasons etc. I do not think however, that this is something that uses library fields today. I've not managed to find any for the Series and Artist images. I think there is a system that simply picks Artists and TV Show names and checks if there is files on disk for this names, in specific folders. I do not think this is the optimal way of dealing with this images, but it's what we have.

In my opinion we should be able to add custom fields with picture paths. Just like you mention. And there should preferably be an interface where we can choose where to store this files, and with what type of name to give the image files. If you change the naming or path, the files that had the previous rules would move and rename. Such a system would not even need a "open" library field to clutter the system. It could be an internal reference to a path, and there could be a few user addable fields for customization.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up