INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video stutter over network  (Read 5575 times)

MasterC

• Recent member
Video stutter over network
« on: February 11, 2012, 02:25:37 pm »

Hello forum.

Been using J River since build 15.  Excellent program.  I am having some issues with video playback on my HTPC playing video files that are stored on my main PC that contains all my media files.
I've basically narrowed it down to using the library server option when playing video.  I have a J River library server for all my media set up on my main computer.  When I start playing a movie file on my HTPC using J River synced to the library on my main computer, about 10-15 seconds into the movie (sometimes longer, depending on the file) the video will start to stutter quite noticeably.  If I play the same video file stored locally on the HTPC, playback is flawless.  If I create a new library in J River on the HTPC and import the video file into the local library on the HTPC, playback seems to be perfect as well.  So I think the problem lies somewhere in the library server function?

I've gone through all the other threads on this forum as well as the AVS forums and tried some other suggestions by other users who seemed to be having similar issues.  I've removed antivirus software from both machines (Microsoft Security Essentials) which made no difference at all.  I've disabled the windows firewall on both machines, no difference.  Everything on the network is using a wired gigabit connection through a D-Link DIR-655 Router and a D-Link 1008G gigabit switch.  Tried resetting both multiple times, no issues there.  Have updated all my drivers, noteably the ethernet drivers on both machines.

Based on the results I've had I think I can safely rule out a hardware issue as local playback is flawless on both machines.

Hopefully I am missing something obvious here, but I would appreciate any help.  Worst case scenario I can create a new library on the HTPC end, but it just means twice the work in the end and somewhat defeats the purpose of the library server!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Mind boggling video stutter....
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 02:28:32 pm »

Welcome.

It's hard to explain this since you're on a wired network and they're normally bullet proof.

What types of files are you playing?  DVD or a file like an MKV, AVI, etc.?

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 02:37:00 pm »

Most of my movie files are MKV.  But it seems to be happening regardless of file type.  Some MKV files will play fine for a few minutes and then start stuttering, some play for a few seconds and then start stuttering.  It should be noted that music playback is flawless when played back over the library server as well.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 03:02:37 pm »

Check the conversion settings.  They should be off.

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 03:43:39 pm »

Under Options > Media Network >, all conversions are turned off.  I had read in another post somewhere that this may have been an issue so they have been off since I installed....

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 03:50:47 pm »

When you play an MKV on the client, check here:
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Temp

When streaming, we use a multi-threaded buffering internet reader, and I think it uses a backing file in that folder.

I'm not sure how complicated it'll be to snapshot the file since it's filled in chunks on demand.

But I'm curious how that file compares to the original.  If it's the same, it means the data is getting there alright.

Another option would be to play from a UNC path like \\Server\Share\1.mkv and see if that works any differently.  That will test moving the data over the network, but won't use the multi-threaded buffering internet reader.

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 04:04:41 pm »

Well, playing the same file using a UNC path works fine.  I've basically done this by creating a new library on my HTPC install of J River and imported a few files from my main media server.
There are files that are being created in the ....\Temp folder that you pointed out when I try to play over the library server.  It continuously creates new files as the file plays back, and the file creation comes to a halt when the video starts stuttering (obviously)....

When you play an MKV on the client, check here:
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Temp

When streaming, we use a multi-threaded buffering internet reader, and I think it uses a backing file in that folder.

I'm not sure how complicated it'll be to snapshot the file since it's filled in chunks on demand.

But I'm curious how that file compares to the original.  If it's the same, it means the data is getting there alright.

Another option would be to play from a UNC path like \\Server\Share\1.mkv and see if that works any differently.  That will test moving the data over the network, but won't use the multi-threaded buffering internet reader.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 04:12:27 pm »

Let us test on our end early next week.

In the meantime, you could use this approach (but ignore the part about sharing the actual library -- just use Library Server / Client but filenames everyone can resolve):
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sharing_a_media_library_with_multiple_users_on_a_home_network_(LAN)

CountryBumkin

Re: Video stutter over network
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 04:25:18 pm »

I was experiencing some stuttering on playback when streaming BDs over my wired home network that took me a while to figure out. It turned out it was related to my network settings.
I had Flow Contol disabled in network card configuration. This was the cause of the video stuttering. I also read to disable (or set to smallest size, if you can't disable) Jumbo Packets. i did this too, and have not had any issues since.

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 06:24:10 pm »

I was experiencing some stuttering on playback when streaming BDs over my wired home network that took me a while to figure out. It turned out it was related to my network settings.
I had Flow Contol disabled in network card configuration. This was the cause of the video stuttering. I also read to disable (or set to smallest size, if you can't disable) Jumbo Packets. i did this too, and have not had any issues since.

Flow control is enabled on both computers, and jumbo packets are disabled.  I had read this as well on another forum thread.  I appreciate all the tips though, and hopefully we can get this figured out sooner or later as I'm not ready to give up on this.

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 11:17:37 am »

I also had this problem a while back with my blu-rays, so I ended up making a new library on the client instead and avoided the media server. I only use the server when connecting from wan but then I use conversion. Never succeeded in getting stutter free non-conversion blu-ray playback through the server.   

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 01:03:36 pm »

I also had this problem a while back with my blu-rays, so I ended up making a new library on the client instead and avoided the media server. I only use the server when connecting from wan but then I use conversion. Never succeeded in getting stutter free non-conversion blu-ray playback through the server.   

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's reassuring that I'm not the only one having issues here  ;D
So you have to maintain two separate libraries, one on each computer?  And were you only having this problem playing back blu-rays?  I was actually playing around the other day with large FLAC files (24 bit/192khz files) and I was getting some stuttering in playback when trying to switch tracks while in mid-playback.  It must be something related to the way J River is streaming over the network using the library server function.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 01:42:24 pm »

I was actually playing around the other day with large FLAC files (24 bit/192khz files) and I was getting some stuttering in playback when trying to switch tracks while in mid-playback.

This makes me think there's a hardware problem on your end.

Perhaps your network card is consuming a lot of resources and fighting with the audio and video cards?

Do you have a way to test a different NIC?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 01:50:42 pm »

You might find a similar problem in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

MasterC

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 02:30:05 pm »

This makes me think there's a hardware problem on your end.

Perhaps your network card is consuming a lot of resources and fighting with the audio and video cards?

Do you have a way to test a different NIC?

I really don't think it's a hardware issue as I can play back these FLAC files perfectly fine when playing them from a local library on my HTPC but still streaming them over my network.  It's only when playing these files back through the library server that the stuttering issues appear.  These files also play back fine over my network using Foobar 2000.  Everything seems to point at the library server function.

I have successfully streamed multiple video and audio streams over the network with no apparent issues as well.  If it's important, my HTPC is using an Intel Core 2 E-8400, 8 GB DDR2 memory, an AMD Radeon 5670 video card, and J River is installed on a 64GB Crucial M4 SSD....

Unfortunately I don't have another NIC to test, or I definitely would give it a shot.

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 03:48:49 am »

I also had this problem a while back with my blu-rays, so I ended up making a new library on the client instead and avoided the media server. I only use the server when connecting from wan but then I use conversion. I never succeeded in getting stutter free non-conversion blu-ray playback through the server.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up