INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound issue with Creative sound card and MJB 8.0.27  (Read 4449 times)

Clark

• Recent member
Sound issue with Creative sound card and MJB 8.0.27
« on: May 11, 2002, 03:07:14 am »

There is an issue with my sound card and MJB 8.0.270.

MJB works with the original XP driver from Creative (front and rear). But there is still some cracks in the sound.
When you update the driver with the last one from Creative website or with the one through windows update, then the rear sound disappeared. The quality of the sound is even worst (lot of cracks).

This issue concerns only MJB as there is no problem with Windows Media Player, Winamp or Music Match.

Any idea of what is wrong ?
Thanks
Windows XP Professional <br>Abit KG7 RAID / AMD XP 1700   / 512 Mo 2100 DDR RAM <br>ATI 8500 64 DDR RAM (BOX) <br>Creati

strips28

• Recent member
RE:Sound issue with Creative sound card and MJB 8.0.27
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2002, 03:22:13 am »

i've got a similair problem with my creative audigy soundcard.
i use a creative inspire 5300 soundsytem, and eventhough this is for a pc at this moment one of the best systems to get (my opinion) the sound it produces through mediajukebox 8.0270 isn't that good.

i've tried it with different DSP effects and without the DSP, doesn't matter. a lot of cracks. got the same problem with mp3's en video-audio..

i've got a pentium 4 system with 256 mb internal memory, should be enough a assume..

maybe a driver problem, don't know, but maybe jriver knows more to this ...

wil

Clark

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2002, 03:59:53 am »

I do not know if it is a driver or software issue as other media players do not have this concern whatever driver I am using.

I also noticed that MJB is very sensitive when I am doing other things on my computer. Even when I modified the option to more skip persistant the music is not playing smoothly.

I hope they will solve the problem as I think MJB is the best player around!
Windows XP Professional <br>Abit KG7 RAID / AMD XP 1700   / 512 Mo 2100 DDR RAM <br>ATI 8500 64 DDR RAM (BOX) <br>Creati

gwwsj51

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2002, 04:06:18 am »

I just downloaded the late's mjb 8.0.270 and mine sems alright at the moment i have sound blaster 5.1 sound card and cambridge soundworks speakers i let you know if any thing changes but at the moment evry thing is alright

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2002, 04:59:28 am »

Can you try reporting this to Creative?  We'll check it out here too, but it may be a sound card driver issue.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2002, 07:36:49 am »

Is everybody here running a VIA motherboard? (AMD)  There's a history of VIA |PLS| Creative interaction problems.

We'll also dig around, but everybody in-house hasn't had any clicks.

Thanks everyone.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Clark

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2002, 10:29:11 am »

I sent an email to Creative Labs. I'll let you know.
Thanks

Poison Dan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2002, 11:38:52 am »

I also experienced some occasional pops and crackles on my soundcard (original SBLive!), but these issues disappeared when I switched from WaveOut to DirectSound.

BTW, I do have a question about this: can anybody from J River tell me which output mode is "preferred", and why WaveOut is default ?

Fretwalker

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2002, 12:01:07 pm »

The same with me - 5.1 Platinum, XP, 5.1 Speakers, latest MJ:
Sound from Rear-Speakers disappears, it cracks and makes noises, also by fading between the tracks...
I have to switch again the 5.1 Speaker configuration in the Surround Mixer Panel WHILE MJ IS OPEN TOO!
Then it lasts till the next reboot.
I contacted Creative, I installed the latest drivers again and again, tried really all I could imagine and they told me it is an interrupt- or XP-problem, not the software . But this behavior is extrem while using MJ - I think I'm gonna switch back to Win98 - no problems there at all!

Eric

JimH

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2002, 12:15:30 pm »

Is anyone who is having this problem NOT using XP?
Jim Hillegass

Markus

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2002, 01:00:26 pm »

I just changed from Win200 to xp and now I encounter the exact same problems You here describe. Before changing th os the sound was absolutely clean. The soundcard itself is also okay, since it works perfectly under Linux.
I also tried all available drivers, lots of IRQ configurations but all this seems not to be the origin for those cracks/pops/clicks...
I do not have a VIA board/chipset.

JimH

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2002, 01:28:12 pm »

I wonder if the problem has something to do with the 5:1 feature.  Do both XP and the sound card have a setting for this?
Jim Hillegass

Clark

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2002, 01:32:13 pm »

FYI.

After browsing because of an issue with my ATI RADEON video card I found this:
Many people complain about craks or bad sound when using sound cards from Creative. What I will recommend it is to check this great site:

http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/sound.htm.

It is a long reading but it is worth!
I know it is related to Abit mother boards'owners but you will find some very good tips. As moving your card away from PCI slot 2 & 3, but do not ask me why. Just computer mysteries... Update your chipsets, mother board bios, drivers and so on. But I do not recommend to update your Creative driver with the one provided through Windows Update.
And remember XP is a good stable OS but many still have a bunch of issues with video, sound cards and games.

At the present time I got back the sound of my rear speakers. I will listen to more music with MJB, WMP and MusicMatch to check if things are getting better.
Keep the faith

gwwsj51

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2002, 02:06:28 pm »

my sound card is still working fine and am running windows xp but i have just updated my motherboard drivers yesterday from gigabyte site plus i tryed the sound mixer all 4 speakers|PLS|subwoofer alright

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2002, 03:00:16 pm »

Hi

Using the SB Live Platinum (not 5.1) - (Creative waited till I bought mine b4 they released this version)

I had loads of click and pop trouble using Win98 and Win2000 and Creative's own (bloated/self advert-ware/self congratulatory) software and driver packages; muting items in the mixer helped, but usually only muting the master volume control would do it!

Now using XP Pro/ VIA/ AMD 1.2GHz

On my first install of XP Pro, I used the drivers from the creative website and had the same trouble.

I now only use the drivers loaded by XP on a fresh install. They work great - I do miss the digital music centre for recording on MD, but there is no way I am going to load the whole suite for Win 98 to get the XP Upgrade version.

Creative's all or nothing approach to bundling software, drivers, popups, registrations, newbulletins etc. etc. in their packages, and their tortuous upgrade policy is hard to stomach.

Hope you get it sorted out - my next soundcard will be the Videologic!

Ilmar
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

Fretwalker

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2002, 03:03:35 pm »

Other applications as PowerDVD or Media Player are working fine - a little click in the speakers and everything's fine - nevertheless there's just sound through 2 speakers after a fresh boot before starting any application

Eric

Clark

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2002, 03:14:18 pm »

Ilmar,

Quote: "Creative's all or nothing approach to bundling software, drivers, popups, registrations, newbulletins etc. etc. in their packages, and their tortuous upgrade policy is hard to stomach."

You do not to have to install the whole bunch of software. There is a directory where you can get the driver only. Either on your CD, either in the specific folder after decompression if you downloaded from the web.

Good luck

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2002, 03:26:47 pm »

Clark,

I may take issue with that tomorrow after breakfast, when I look through my vast collection of driver downloads!

But as it is now the wee small hours of the morning, I must to bed..

Ilmar
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

shelly

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2002, 04:07:25 pm »

I have XP Pro and the SB Audigy Platinum and am not experiencing any popping or cracking noises in MJ.  I did have this problems prior to applying the "Windows Messenger Audio Update" for xp, but that was also before I started using MJ. So, I don't know if the problem would have been present in MJ or not. Hope this helps.  

Shelly

Listening to: 'Green Dolpin Street' from 'Until We Love' by 'Gabrielle Goodman' on Media Jukebox

Stebajo

• World Citizen
  • Every move you'll make I'll be here with you
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2002, 07:18:40 pm »

I have a Via motherboard & an AMD XP 1800  Palomino, SBLive! Value; I went through Win98, W2K, ME, Linux Mandrake 8, XP Pro. Actually I've installed W98Se, XP P, Linux.
Since when I bought the audio card I never heard any click, bip or plin with every OS, in direct sound or in wave; just in XP Pro, all is working fine Direct S. or not in spite of creative drivers,  but even before to install and reinstall these last, in Hardware device\Audio Controller\Creative SBLive! Value (WDM) than in Wave Device like midi, synth, mixer, etc. I see an advice: driver enabled but not correctly working. Even if I do not comprend this adv because all is working relly fine and incredible, Creative sofware too!
By the way, the next card will not be Creative, it's banned in my future.

Ah, I've forgotten to say that I'm deaf  .

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
  • network admincomputers, dogs, tattoos
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2002, 09:01:29 pm »

DO NOT USE the driver from Windows Update (XP) it will cut out your rear sound with a Sound Blaster Live card, unistall that driver and install the one from Creative.  I'm using driver version 3509.2.0.0 from Creative, sounds great.
Brian

Clark

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2002, 01:46:15 am »

Does anyone has a FTP server where we could upload driver that people are please with ?

FYI here is a site http://www.3dss.com/
You will find a lot of ressources concerning Creative and other cards. There is also link to unofficial SB Live driver and they also talk about our cracking issue.

Check it out !

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2002, 07:40:33 am »

You can download the driver directly from creative.com the proper one is on their page.
Brian

Stebajo

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2002, 12:04:22 pm »

nyc-ink,
I'm only talking about SBLive! Value (mod. 4830), but if you want hear sound by rear speakers, you should try to enable them before; control panel\sound\speakers setting\advanced\4 speakers. Sorry if I remember that, but just to be shure & because as I said in my previous post I got an advice, well tring to fix that strange issue I reverted to Microsoft 5.1.2602.0 WDM, I think it should be the Microsoft update.
Well, though it does not fix that issue everything is working, rearspeakers too. To make them working I had to change from 4 speakers setting to 2 spk.s & confirmed the new choice, than revert again to 4 speakers & confirmed again. At this time all is working, only MJB needs DirectSound Playback setting to make rear speakers really working. (Settings\Playback\Output field\set from Wave Out to than click OK). In this way is not necessary restart MJB to have it working in Surround.

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2002, 12:13:18 pm »

Why don't you just download the creative driver and use their software it works just fine.  You can always disable auto start of that annoying audio app of thiers by just deleting it from the startup group.  I have my 80 watt 3 piece speaker system connected to my front output, and a 290 watt surround system connected to the rear output and I use the creative mixer to control the balance between front and rear, and it sounds great!  It's the MS driver that is causing your problems.
Brian

PS Sound Value Live here too

Stebajo

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2002, 06:46:14 pm »

Yes Brian,
it works great, but I'm a vicious tweaker and I don't like that advice of what I said before: 'in Hardware device\Audio Controller\Creative SBLive! Value (WDM) like in Wave Device like midi, synth, mixer, etc. I see an advice: driver enabled but not correctly working', probably you too, give a check.
I'm really enraged with Creative after have bought 8-9 months ago a Nomad JB C 20GB.
So I comprend Ilmar's frustration: >>>"Creative's all or nothing approach to bundling software, drivers, popups, registrations, newbulletins etc. etc. in their packages, and their tortuous upgrade policy is hard to stomach." in particular about their tortuous support and upgrade policy and their inability to make software. Shurely they have lost a good customer.
I don't love Bill, but I not find correct say that is MS driver that is causing problems, instead of to say that is a sound card issue. Prob. it is not 100% XP compliance. By the way, I agree with you that install driver version 3509.2.0.0 is the only way to use at least the old Surround Mixer & AudioHQ, remained since W98; nothing more. By other hand, reading this thread I can again retain me lucky. Thank Creative.

Clark

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2002, 12:26:46 pm »

Because I have a serious concern when playing games (they freeze after a while) I found out after several researches that my sound card was in fact responsible of the problem. Big issue with old SB sound cards (I have a SB Live Platinum 4.1).
Then, to test different configuration and make sure it was not a video hardware problem (I got an ATI 8500 64 DDR) I reinstall Windows Xp. I tried several SB Live driver on this clean configuration.

First the sound is perfect with MS driver, the original one provided by XP and the one from windows update. But there is no sound on the rear speakers. I guess my system in very bad shape because I said the opposite in a previous thread. But the surround mixer cannot get the plugin to work with MS drivers. As Stebajo said you need Creative drivers to make it work.

Then I install the Creative ones. Yes they are several ones, in fact two. nyc-ink that is why I proposed to upload people's driver which was working fine. Acually I am not really sure if there are only 2 Creative drivers. Anyway I tried both. Both are called to be XP compatible but actually only one is XP certified. Concerning both drivers I still have the same that Fretwalker. I have to do get into surround mixer to get back my four speakers or as Stebajo into multimedia in the control panel in order to make a quick swith between 4 to 2 and 2 to 4.

Anyway, what is strange it is that sound issue is not present with Windows Medi Player.

Matt, yes I running a motherboard with AMD and Via chipset. I updated all chipset: AMD AGP Miniport 5.33 2000XP, VIA 4in1438(2)v(a), VIA rpp1.02.zip. I hope that will solve my games issue but without success. Anyway installing these did not improve the sound. After a fresh install the sound was good and before I still had some cracks.

I will conclude saying that the sound is now great but my screen is still freezing when I play games. I am going to try with a SB Audigy from a friend to check the video issue and the sound...

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2002, 12:37:27 pm »

The Sound problem from the rear output is caused by the MS driver!  I don't know why you folks won't believe me.  My SB Live value runs great and yes I'm using XP, when I updated the driver via MS i lost the rear channel, once I restored the Creative driver everything is fine.  I don't know why you people won't believe me when I tell you it's the MS driver causing your problems. oh well.
Brian

Clark

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2002, 01:12:02 pm »

nyc-ink, I do believe you That's what I said in my post "...the sound is perfect with MS driver, the original one provided by XP and the one from windows update. But there is no sound on the rear speakers...". When I said perfect I mean no crack. No crack but no rear sound  

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2002, 01:19:34 pm »

I have no cracks, and have rear sound.  I'm sticking with the creative driver.
Brian

Fretwalker

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2002, 05:29:00 pm »

It's not a long time that I'm using XP and so I could wait until Creative was offering their XP-Driver CD - and that was my first and fresh install for that - fault was: at that time I was using 2 speaker configuration. When I bought my 5.1 setup I completely reinstalled the creative drivers and software with 5.1 enabled (also in the setup) and I also enabled 5.1 in the control panel, before and after the installation...
And then finally: The rear speakers are gone and I have to repeat the same procedure as told everytime I boot the system...that's really frustrating!
By the way, it was never an alternative for me to install some Microsoft drivers and I won't do so...I guess, I have to wait 'til they get it fixed...
The joke is: No any of these problems using Win98 , I didn't even had to reinstall the drivers...
So what can I say? I'm really sick of using Creative products, they are proprietär (maybe this was a german term?), there are a couple of things that don't work as they should (software related), their politic of bringing up new soundcards to the market every half a year till they get one working perfectly and not at least the support (e.g. concerning the remote control, etc - I would love to control MJ with this remote, but they only let u use their own software)

Eric

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2002, 05:36:39 pm »

why don't you try deleting the sound card in your device manager, then reinstall it using the creative driver?
Brian

Stebajo

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2002, 06:17:48 pm »

>>>The Sound problem from the rear output is caused by the MS driver! I don't know why you folks won't believe me.
>>>I have no cracks, and have rear sound.

I believe you, infact I'll soon come back to creat driver, but just to have back Eax control panel, nothing more.
About rear sound, using your same card SB Value |PLS| MS Update, front & rear sound is great! None crack. >>>To make them working I had to change in control panel\Sound\advanced speakers setting from 4 speakers setting to 2 spk.s & confirmed the new choice, than revert again to 4 speakers & confirmed again. At this time all is working, only MJB needs DirectSound Playback setting to make rear speakers really working; nothing is need for other progs.

aRCLiGHT

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2002, 08:08:57 pm »

To pick up where I left off in my previous thread - I am running an Intel Motherboard with a PIII-600B CPU.  I have no problems with any other music software.  MJ is the only one that 'cracks-up'!  I have a Creative Labs SB Live! and run on Win2k.  No VIA motherboard here....

Any other ideas???

aRCLiGHT

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2002, 08:19:15 pm »

Have you tried disabling the DSP etc, I've found on badly ripped tracks or older recordings it can cause problems with the sound by highlightly flaws.
Brian

Stebajo

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2002, 09:45:23 pm »

Oh yeah aRCLiGHT, it could be an overflow issue... have you tryed at least DSP Clip protection?

XP, SBLive! Value, VIA motherboard here & all is fine

Stebajo

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2002, 10:52:58 pm »

Clark,
try in first uninstalling AMD AGP Miniport 5.33 2000XP, I remember to have red that with VIA motherboard is need only:

1) - 4in1 first (i'm using your same version) reboot,
2) - than USB Filter 'usbf_110' and reboot. Nothing more.
3) - Only after, if you unluckily have to install Creative's 3509.2.0.0 driver too, then install it  at your risk  Next Page  & reboot.
4) - Always, after Cretine diver Next Page you need to reinstall Via 4in1.

I hope this could help...

Stebajo

aRCLiGHT

RE:Sound issue with Creative sound card and MJB 8.0.273
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2002, 07:44:11 pm »

Okay - I went to Creative's site and downloaded the driver for my card.  Same problem whether I use Microsucks default drivers or Creative's.  I have tried changing from Direct to Wave, no change other than I seem to lose the highs a bit.  I have also tried to turn clip protection off and that also made no difference.

Still running Win2k, Creative Labs SB Live! Value, Altec Lansing ACS-500 speakers.

aRCLiGHT

Markus

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2002, 11:41:50 pm »

Yes! My cracklig noise problem is solved:
   I set the PCI Latency Timer in the motherboard bios settings from 0 to some higher value and that solved it.
   What's strange is that under Win2k it was not necessary and Linux seems to do that itself automatically, at least it says something like that when starting up and sound is alright under Linux...

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2002, 05:46:15 am »

HOORAY YOU GOT IT FIXED!
Brian

LazyBit

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2002, 12:50:06 pm »

My cracklig noise problem is solved too:
I also set the PCI Latency Timer in the motherboard bios settings from 0 to 32 and that solved it.
(But I've no idea about the Function of this Setting. Does anyone know if I get problems with this change?)

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.273

CPU: Intel Pentium II 401 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 23 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0  (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4134.0600
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4134.600
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4134.600
Shell32.dll: 5.00.2920.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)
Soundcard: SB Live! Value
Pages: [1]   Go Up