INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename, Move, and Copy Files Randomly Failing  (Read 1643 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Rename, Move, and Copy Files Randomly Failing
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:30:14 pm »

I'm seeing some weirdness with the Rename, Move, and Copy tool.

Last night I did a lot of file organization on my server at home.  I was doing both of these tasks:

1. Moving longstanding files in my library from my main "M:" RAID drive over to an external "X:" drive (video files I didn't want to delete, but had already watched).

2. Reorganizing newly imported files from my M:\incoming\ folder to the proper locations using metadata to sort them.

I got a number of different, and seemingly random, "MC encountered errors when trying to tag the following files" errors (and the referenced files didn't move).  If it had just happened once, I'd have assumed that some other process was using the files at the time, and so they were locked.  However, this doesn't seem to be the case.

For one, running the exact same tool on the same files immediately after getting the error would usually "fix" it, for at least some of them.  In one case, I had 15 files that failed to move (out of a batch of 50 or so).  I ran it again on those 15 files, and then all but 3 of them "worked".  Then, I ran it again on those three (immediately, without doing anything else) and they moved correctly.

When it happened the second or third time, I decided to investigate.  I checked the permissions and read-only status of the files in question thoroughly.  They were as normal as any of the other ones.  Plus, after the first set of errors, I made sure all other processes on the system that might even possibly potentially be using the files were shut down (like the AirVideo server, for example, which sometimes causes this).  There was literally nothing else running on the box when I got some of the later issues that might have had a lock on one of the referenced files.

Lastly, it seemed to happen in "hunks".  For example, I did a big batch Move on many of my more recent TV Show recordings and downloads out of my M:\incoming\ folder.  This included probably 10-15 different shows.  On that batch, I got errors for 3 different (but not sequential) episodes of one particular show (Secret Diary of a Call Girl, in this case, which is a silly but fun BBC/Showtime show if you've never seen it).

These files, though, were recorded at different times.  Two of them were in their own subfolders of the M:\incoming\ folder, and one was in the root of that folder.  However, 6 more episodes of that same show, including many others directly located in M:\incoming\, worked just fine.  I couldn't see any pattern to the problems, other than that when it happened, the files seemed to have a tag in MC in common.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Rename, Move, and Copy Files Randomly Failing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:38:53 pm »

I've seen the same thing happening with files on my unraid server. However, it's a special situation, and I doubt that this is the case for you, but here goes anyway (it may help someone out there).... 

It happens when there are duplicate files in the same location (at least according to my user shares - they're not on the same disk, but appear to be in the same location in Windows). If I move or rename a file, one of the duplicates gets moved (the one on the lower disk number), but when MC checks, the file is there (the duplicate on the higher disk number). Doing the rename/copy/move a second time will work without a hitch, but I believe it creates the same problem as before.
This kind of problem is highly unlikely to be the same issue as yours, but look into it if your server permits user shares that can span more than one disk. When the failure is reported - check the destination anyway.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 04:12:46 pm »

Nothing weird like that.

This is a normal, local Windows NTFS volume, and I was moving to/from a normal Windows NTFS volume.  In fact, with some of the errors, the files weren't even going to a different physical disk (when I was renaming from M:\incoming\ they were always going somewhere in M:\video\).

My M drive is on a hardware RAID device, but that isn't relevant.  Windows doesn't treat it any differently than any other hard drive.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 06:20:50 pm »

I had this yesterday. It seems to me like the initial bug we had with moving video files with associated coverart files.

I was moving/renaming all my Doctor Who episodes and about 20 of them didn't make it... all of those that failed had coverart and a great deal had external subtitle files too. I deleted the coverart files and subtitle files and they worked.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 06:46:15 pm »

I moved/renamed some video files and a few photos yesterday.
I didn't notice until just now that some of my video files weren't being found because they were named what I had been naming 3 of my jpgs. In fact, those three photos gave me grief - I renamed and moved them and MC kept saying they weren't on disc. Did it about 6 times (removing them from the library, re-importing, and I was never succesful). Odd that it is exactly those three photos whose names appear on some of the videos.  I wish I could reproduce it exactly, but alas.

BTW, I was using a previous version when doing the moves (17.0075 I think?)
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

elprice7345

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 06:03:56 pm »

I've gotten the same error randomly when using MC to move files. If I keep trying, eventually it works.

I've also tried moving the same files with the native Windows copy service and Teracopy and they move just fine.

I'm on Win7 x64. and MC 17.0.89

Edit: I only have issues with video files, mostly larger files.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:06:55 pm »

I'm on Win7 64 bit as well. I really wish I could reproduce it.
If it ever happens again I'll go into full SQA mode ;)
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 09:28:15 pm »

I haven't seen it again yet, but I also haven't been bothering to organize much lately, so...  :-\

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:49:16 am »

I've seen it from time to time also.

jgreen

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 04:59:16 pm »

I'm on Win7/64, and it does this (almost) every time.  The first attempt fails, the second attempt always succeeds.  And I do not know why the few successes succeed.

I believe MC is misreading the file permissions in Win7.  I'm told there is a bug (which MSFT claims is a feature) whereby some Win7 machines set EVERY FOLDER to read only, which cannot be changed.  At the same time, the FILE permissions are normal.  There are some MSFT help pages regarding this, which I may have misread, but I can verify that my machine behaves exactly as described.  Net/net, I tell MC to move everything twice. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up