INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA with a TV LG  (Read 2450 times)

nrebelo

DLNA with a TV LG
« on: February 17, 2012, 07:43:26 am »

I've managed to have my TV (LG 47LW570S) to run DLNA from a MC17 hosted on a desktop and both connected via wireless. However I have two problems, for which I would like some help:
1 - I have a big library including audio, movies and photos. On the TV, through DLNA, I have access only to a sub-set of my library, in other words, I have around 17000 items in my music library but on the TV I can only "see" about 1000 files. Can someone tell me if this a limitation of the TV, a limitation of MC or... whatever I'm doing wrong?
2 - Whenever I try to play a movie, it starts OK, runs for about 3-4 minutes and then starts to play again from beginning! And each time it restarts this period of time is shorter. Any tips of what can cause this behaviour??

Thanks in advance for any help.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA with a TV LG
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:45:52 am »

I've managed to have my TV (LG 47LW570S) to run DLNA from a MC17 hosted on a desktop and both connected via wireless. However I have two problems, for which I would like some help:
1 - I have a big library including audio, movies and photos. On the TV, through DLNA, I have access only to a sub-set of my library, in other words, I have around 17000 items in my music library but on the TV I can only "see" about 1000 files. Can someone tell me if this a limitation of the TV, a limitation of MC or... whatever I'm doing wrong?
2 - Whenever I try to play a movie, it starts OK, runs for about 3-4 minutes and then starts to play again from beginning! And each time it restarts this period of time is shorter. Any tips of what can cause this behaviour??

Thanks in advance for any help.
First possibility, a quick lookup of your TV on DLNA.ORG indicates it's certified for MP3 and LPCM. Are there other things in your Audio library that are not these formats?
Second, there may be some limit on the TV of how many items it can handle in a container. 1000 is pretty suspicious since that's a typical value used in gets. Are you trying to view all files at the same time? That's quite a load for the DLNA renderer to handle. If you browse from the TV by artist or album do you see what you expect?

Video is always the most demanding, are you wired or wireless? What is the format of the video files you are trying to play that stall out??

nrebelo

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:24 pm »

First of all, thanks for your feedback. In fact all my audio files are in MP3 format. I also find the 1000 files a pretty suspicious figure, but I couldn't find anywhere in the TV documentation any reference to a maximum limit it can handle. In fact if I browse by Artist or Album I see what I expect, but that 1000 limit is always present (when applicable). But assuming this figure is some kind of limit, is there any workaround you could suggest, like for example using playlists instead of the entire library?

Concerning the video files I have two kinds: either VFO files (when I rip a DVD), or AVI files, which are the majority of them. This behaviour is the same regardless of the file type. The funny thing is that while it works (those initial 3-4 minutes, which become shorter after each restart from beginning) I can see the movie perfectly and fluid both in terms of picture and sound. I am connected wireless, but what confuses me a bit is the restart thing. If it was a bandwidth problem I would expect the movie to pause occasionally but that is not what happens. Am I thinking wrong??

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 03:20:44 pm »

First of all, thanks for your feedback. In fact all my audio files are in MP3 format. I also find the 1000 files a pretty suspicious figure, but I couldn't find anywhere in the TV documentation any reference to a maximum limit it can handle. In fact if I browse by Artist or Album I see what I expect, but that 1000 limit is always present (when applicable). But assuming this figure is some kind of limit, is there any workaround you could suggest, like for example using playlists instead of the entire library?
You could customize the views in MC. There are settings to group things together for instance Audio->Artist->[A-D] [E-H] and so on. This in the "Add or Configure DLNA servers..." under Media Network options then "customize view" for the server of your choice.
The 1000 limit is suspicious because many devices ask for groups of 1000, get the first 1000 and the total # of matches, update the index then ask for the next 1000. Sounds like there may be a problem with the firmware there...
Concerning the video files I have two kinds: either VFO files (when I rip a DVD), or AVI files, which are the majority of them. This behaviour is the same regardless of the file type. The funny thing is that while it works (those initial 3-4 minutes, which become shorter after each restart from beginning) I can see the movie perfectly and fluid both in terms of picture and sound. I am connected wireless, but what confuses me a bit is the restart thing. If it was a bandwidth problem I would expect the movie to pause occasionally but that is not what happens. Am I thinking wrong??
You could try changing MC's DLNA Video settings to turn off conversion. That could help with the AVI's if the TV is capable of playing them natively (some are, they just don't say that they are).
If you get an unrecognized file type try turning on the "mpeg video mimetype override" under advanced DLNA options. Then you'll probably need to change the DLNAType to MPEG_PS_NTSC or MPEG_PS_PAL depending on your location.

Pages: [1]   Go Up