INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off topic about Hard Drives  (Read 1090 times)

DeathRider

• World Citizen
Off topic about Hard Drives
« on: May 10, 2002, 06:09:50 pm »

I need some help. I Replaced my old drive with a larger drive for my main drive, I formated the smaller drive and am using it only for music. I have been bothered by one problem, out of the total capcity of the drive there is over 6 Gigs of space taken up for syst use, the drive is an old 13 gig drive and I was wondering if the syst space needs to be this big which doesnt make sens and if I can how can I correct this so that I can pack more MP3 files on it. I am running Win XP Pro NTFS file syst,. also any tips on settings for NTFS setup, I recently switched over and love the stability but seem to have some slow down in some areas such as quick file launch menu and programs menu under the start bar. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Robert Long

nyc-ink

RE:Off topic about Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 06:23:57 pm »

Have you run scan disk, sounds like you might have some disk errors.
Brian

nyc-ink

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 06:30:45 pm »

Me again, regarding how fast your apps start, you may find in time with XP the apps you use most will open quicker.  XP tracks your application use and after a certain number of times running that app in a certain time span, Windows will load parts of those apps during it's own startup to speed up those apps opening.  However it really does sound like your HDs need scan disk and then defrag.  Also I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "syst use" that's a pretty broad term and could mean a lot of things.
Brian

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2002, 06:41:37 pm »

I run a full sweep using all the tools from norton/utilities and diskeeper/executive software syst maintenance tools, also I recently started using smart defrag setup from diskeeper/executive software. problem has been around since before I started using the additional tools. I have been running Xp since it the day it came out. I tested it on a 13 gig drive and all was fine but when I formated the 40 gig drive and loaded it with all the same apps and ect, the problem started, thats why I know something is wrong, 13 gig fast and 40 gig slow and me in twilight zone LOL, but thanks
Robert Long

nyc-ink

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2002, 06:55:27 pm »

Well if all else fails, move all your data to the old drive, repartion and reformat the new harddrive and start fresh.  It's always good practice!
B.

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2002, 07:01:20 pm »

AAARRRGGGGHHHH, LOL. not what I realy had in mind, It would be easier for me to Start building a new machine before the prices for parts goes back up and sell this one. Its due time any way since it is now 2 years old. I will let this thread run for another day and then if all else fails I will start buying components.

Thanks
Robert Long

nyc-ink

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2002, 08:28:14 pm »

Well since I live in a peputual state of uprgrade I can understand your feeling!  I have 3 boxes running here at home, so parts are constantly being moved around, and my fingers are usually a bit bloody from scraping them on the inside of cases!
Brian

shdbcamping

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2002, 10:06:50 pm »

i just got a new 'puter with XP. had an old one with a 30 gig HD (win 98). i created a folder on the new HD and transfered all files to new drive in that directory (without any 3rd party stuff). my old drive was FAT32. I formatted the old drive after transfer to NTSF instead of FAT32. then i moved the files back (no 3rd party stuff). it rockets reguardless of what drive my program files are on.
remember that your master HD can only go as fast as your slave drive speed. (unless MS has fixed this problem with XP)
XP is soooo different than previous DOS based versions of windows. i'm still in learning curve but the previous explaination worked for me. (also older 3rd party stuff may not work worth a s**t with XP, and if not certified by MS will cause more problems than not.)

hope this helps
sean
Pages: [1]   Go Up