INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kill Bill subtitles don't display  (Read 3887 times)

HeadPhonic

• Recent member
Kill Bill subtitles don't display
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:55:09 am »

I tried playing Kill Bill Vol 1 on a region 4 dvd through latest version of media center 16 and
downloaded trial version of media center 17.0.82 but still no subtitles display when the characters
in the film are speaking Japanese. I am English speaking and the dvd language is set to English.
The scenes with Japanese speech display subtitles properly through windows media player though
so I'm guessing it is a problem with j river. I am running Red October HQ too if that affects it at all?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Kill Bill subtitles don't display
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:51:45 am »

Try going to playback options->subtitles and see if there is an alternate subtitle stream you can use. Usually "forced" or something like that.

HeadPhonic

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 10:43:48 pm »

Yeah I already tried the different subtitle options but the problem is forcing it means I have subtitles all the way through the movie which I don't want. I only want the subtitles to display when the characters are speaking non-English.
I tried all the subtitle options in j river and none have the desired effect. VLC media player has same problem too, but commercial DVD player
and Windows Media Player display it correctly.
In J River I would have to turn subtitles on during the non-English parts and then off again when they revert back to speaking English which is hardly an adequate solution.

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:21:57 pm »

I just noticed the same problem while watching the Star Wars on blu ray (from the disc).

Let's assume for a minute that selecting some alternate stream works... how am I supposed to know what alternate stream to select, or even that I have to take such an action in the first place? I just want to put the disc in and have it play properly.

HeadPhonic

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:43:35 am »

I just switched to windows media player for this movie and that worked fine. So I guess I'll just have to use that for movies with mixed English and non-English.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:17:53 am »

I just noticed the same problem while watching the Star Wars on blu ray (from the disc).

Let's assume for a minute that selecting some alternate stream works... how am I supposed to know what alternate stream to select, or even that I have to take such an action in the first place? I just want to put the disc in and have it play properly.

If you access the playback options screen (either with your remote, up/down, or right-clicking the screen) you will find a subtitles menu. MC and LAV do a pretty good job of selecting the appropriate stream, but sometimes it fails. Select the stream that says Eng (Forced) or Eng (Translation) or something like that. It should be self-evident.
Pages: [1]   Go Up