INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update rating --> modify file date ?  (Read 718 times)

Ugy

Update rating --> modify file date ?
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:03:49 am »

Hello.
I looked in the forums, I did not found how to do this (if possible).

What I would like: when I rate a song, I want MC to:
  • modify its library (OK)
  • modify the file tags on the hard drive (OK, I checked "Update tags when file info changes")
  • modify the file "Modified" windows date: not done.
I want this because I use SyncBackSE (a backup program) to backup my whole library on week-ends for safety measures, and it uses the Modified Date on the files to check if they were (modified). MC doesn't modify the date. Can this be done ?

I found a work-around, but not good enough: I created a smartlist with something like
[[Date Modified] in the last 10 days AND [Rating] >= 1]
Then, I "Update tags (from Library)" on it: this changes the file dates.
Not perfect because a lot of songs which I did not modify their ratings are in the list, thus being backed up for no reason.

Any way to do this please ?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Update rating --> modify file date ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:50:10 am »

As far as I know, MC does not have a feature to write file tags without updating the file's time stamp. If the file system Date Modified value does not change when the file tag is written I believe something is not working correctly.

Could you please verify that the rating value is really written to the file tag by checking the detailed format info panel in "Action Window > Tag" (i.e. by verifying the tag change in the so called "tag dump"): The "tag dump" explained
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Ugy

Re: Update rating --> modify file date ?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:13:48 am »

Hello Alex,
Kudos for replying so fast - amazing.

Indeed you were right, MC rightfully modifies the date time stamp. It is a bug with another program I use, it doesn't reflect the changes on files as soon as they're modified.
Under windows explorer it is displayed correctly - I did not see it right away (I had to change things) because I have a special display for songs folders under explorer.

Sorry for this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up