INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organizing files better in MC17  (Read 1980 times)

guitarman

• Recent member
Organizing files better in MC17
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:34:47 pm »

I've got movies and tv shows. When I go to the TV shows category its also showing some movies in there as well. In the tag information of the movies there is nothing about TV in there. Is there a better way to organize so TV shows only show up in that view and Movies only show in the appropriate views?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Organizing files better in MC17
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:37:12 pm »

You need to set the 'Media Sub Type' field to the appropriate value.

All video categorization is built around this.  The program (Carnac) tries to put videos in the correct places, but sometimes it gets it wrong and you have to fix it manually.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:01:20 pm »

You need to set the 'Media Sub Type' field to the appropriate value.

All video categorization is built around this.  The program (Carnac) tries to put videos in the correct places, but sometimes it gets it wrong and you have to fix it manually.

I cannot, for the life of me find this Media sub type field. Is there a tutorial somwhere for this?

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:30:45 pm »

I think I'll have to stop using mc17 its done nothing but waste my time and money

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:00:40 pm »

I cannot, for the life of me find this Media sub type field. Is there a tutorial somwhere for this?

In standard view, just right click on any column heading and add the media subtype field to view the entry for each video you have. You can sort by this. Select the ones that are wrong, and you can edit the tag in place by clicking f2 (use tab/shift-tab if another field is active for editing). Changes made to the topmost selected item are applied to all those below it that are selected.

Alternatively, after adding the media subtype field to the standard view columns, you can select the files and activate tagging in the lower left part of the window. Scroll down to Media Subtype in the tagging window and correct all the wrong entries in one go.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:03:59 am »

You can also select a file then either:
1) right click on the selected file and choose TAG,
-or-
2) click on the TAG option in the Action Window and scroll to Media Sub-Type

guitarman, there is a bit of a learning curve with MC and considering it's feature list and power that is not surprising, be patient and it will be well worth the effort.
. . . the game is rigged

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:16:18 am »

The best and easiest way to control this is to set the movies and series as two separate auto import items, and set the media sub type on auto import to the correct type. That way, it will never miss, and your views will only contain the correct media.

If you do not have a few hours to put into this program to set it all up as you want it and make your self familiar with it, you might feel that it's no good. But once you know how it works, it will stick on you for ever :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

guitarman

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:54:28 pm »

Well I spent pretty much from 7 pm till 5 am working on this. I've finally got an idea of how to make it work for me. I wish I didn't have to put so much time in to this. I added more library views in order to take some of my TV series and separate them by seasons. I don't know if this is the most efficient way but at least its more organized, easier and faster to find what I want.
But the big difference that I found that wasn't mentioned here was the fact that I could go in to "Customize views", and make rules concerning what goes and what doesn't go in to the views. This is how I was able to get certain movies and other content to not go in to my TV show views. I guess I was hoping that this was going to be more plug and play. Its not that I can't figure it out, being an I.T. Professional (Netowrk Operations Manager) but I work with computers, networks all day and this is my leisure time, when playing with my media center.
However I apologize for my remarks that MC17 was a waste of money and time. It's still a great peice of software and I was just venting frustration as I was also dealing with a major network outage on our cloud hosted servers yesterday.

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 02:11:31 pm »

Customizing views is one of the great advantages of MC. I would be careful to modify this to much to remove and add different media types though. If this things is wrongly tagged, you'll make a mess of your library, and it'll be hell to get things to work right in the future. Again, I would recommend that you set the Tag on import rules correct, so new media is 100% right. And THEN you can play with customizing views and everything else. If you just learn the basics of importing, importing rules, media sub types and a bit of customizing views, there is not really much more to it. It'll make a good basic first time setup.

This is normally a very helpful community, so if you are feeling lost, do not be afraid of asking for help. The wiki also contains some good articles.
I'm a IT guys my self. However, that does not help all the time. The sheer amount of options and possibilities in this application can confuse anyone.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 07:51:16 pm »

Did you really expect someone to tell you about customising your views after reading this? :) I didn't realise I was dealing with an IT professional, so I tried to give you just the very basics. Really glad you figured out the rest.
MrHaugen gave some great advice about import folders. You can set rules for the folders and auto-tag the contents when you import them according to the rules you set.
Pages: [1]   Go Up