INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC to Radio  (Read 1622 times)

loafer

• Recent member
PC to Radio
« on: June 08, 2012, 09:50:10 am »

I've tried to locate some info on this site with my query but I don't understand a lot of the techy lingo so apologies if this has been covered already.

I'm want to buy a Roberts Internet Radio Stream 83i. I get the internet radio part but I don't understand the bit regarding sending my music on the PC to this radio - it says use Mediaplayer 11 but I don't want to.

So can I use Jukebox or MediaCenter to do this instead.

Alternatively is there a better way to listen to my PC music around the house?

Ta muchly :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: PC to Radio
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:35:02 am »

Welcome to Interact.  Does the device support DLNA?

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:17:42 am »

It seems there is a firmware update to give it general UPnP capabilities. I think it MAY have the same chipset as the Noxon radio which we work with fine. It's hard to know what formats will play without conversion until you try (our Noxon plays mp3 and m4a without conversion) however you can always set MC to send LPCM which works with all devices.

loafer

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 04:42:45 pm »

Hi, and thanks for the swift replies.

I've searched the online manual and can find no mention of DLNA. A reviewer on Amazon states:

I have Townky media server (DLNA/UPnP) running on a NAS (Western Digital MyBook World Edition white light version) and it picked this up straight away.

This I presume refers to the internet radio and not PC to hi-fi etc?

Have read the link to the DNLA page but sorry, don't understand it, I get the basic function of it but get lost in the details.

Thanks for your help, will have to scratch my head on it for a bit as to what to do. :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 05:51:58 pm »

From the 83i page:

New - A free of charge firmware update is now available to all Stream 83i users to add a range of new features to the radio. The new firmware allows the radio to be remotely controlled using our ConnectR app for the iPhone and iPod touch. The update also adds a range of other benefits including support for the Windows 7 "Play to" feature and compatibility with other UPnP control applications. For further details of all of the new features please see the document Stream 83i software update.pdf and the updated (issue 2) user guide, see the links above.

When I checked in the linked manual version 2 it mentions the UPnP capabilities. DLNA is a kind of superset to UPnP. It quite likely that MC will just work with it by what I see there.

loafer

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 05:30:25 am »

Thanks for working it out for me, appreciate the help.  :)

I am currently using Jukebox 14 on a creaking PC with XP, but by the end of this month will I have a new PC and Windows 7 so I will upgrade to Media Center then purchase the 83i.

Thanks again,

Loafer
Pages: [1]   Go Up