INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: transcode for portable device?  (Read 1096 times)

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
transcode for portable device?
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:35:17 am »

Not sure exactly where to ask this question. 

I've got a kids mp3 player.  It attaches via USB and can show up as a thumb drive.  It best plays back media that has only one channel (the left one).  It's just a mono setup via it's built-in speakers.  It's like one of these:  http://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Kids-Digital-Mp3-Boombox/dp/B005MG9634 

I'm wondering how to best deal with managing playlists and copying media to it.  Right now I've been making a playlist and then exporting the tracks to a folder.  I've then used audacity to create a mono track, and then copied those to the device.  This works but is pretty time consuming to do manually. 

So I'm wondering is there some way to get MC17 to help automate this?

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: transcode for portable device?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:44:12 am »

In Media Center you can set up custom Lame mp3 encoding to produce mono files.  Just treat your device as a "Handheld" in Media Center and you can go into the options for the handheld and set audio conversion to "always convert" and select MP3 for encoding and select "Encoding settings..." and set it to something like this (the -a forces the output to mono):

Custom Command Line Switches (advanced):
lame.exe --preset  cbr 192 -a

Just drag your playlist onto the device to transfer (or set it to always auto-sync to the playlist).

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: transcode for portable device?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:53:46 am »

That sounds like a good approach, thanks!  I'll give it a try and report back with the results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up