INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Movies Recorded From TV Appear As 'Shows'  (Read 2005 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Some Movies Recorded From TV Appear As 'Shows'
« on: January 28, 2012, 03:46:32 pm »

For some reason many, but not all of our movies are getting the Media Sub Type of TV Shows instead of 'Movie'. They are all over 1 hour long and are recorded as .jtv files from our HDPVR. Examples are The Fugitive, Reindeer Games and Mystic River. This has been happening intermittently for over two months.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Rod

On Edit:  I just selected a couple of the Movies and went to "Fill properties from filenames' it changed them to Media Sub Type of 'Movie'. But isn't Carnac supposed to automatically do that?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Some Movies Recorded From TV Appear As 'Shows'
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 04:20:56 pm »

Currently anything we record we tag as a show.  Maybe we should use the same rules as Carnac and call things over an hour-something a movie?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 05:03:00 pm »

......  Maybe we should use the same rules as Carnac and call things over an hour-something a movie?

Why not? 

Some of my recording are shown as Movies, but perhaps I re-tagged them and forgot that I did.

So I guess as an interim solution I should periodically grab all the .jtv files and do a 'Fill Properties From Filenames'.

Thanks a lot for getting right back to me Matt.

Rod

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 06:04:29 pm »

Currently anything we record we tag as a show.  Maybe we should use the same rules as Carnac and call things over an hour-something a movie?

I think you should.  It works quite well for imports as-is.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:13:55 am »

I'm a bit leery of this change.

If the only test is duration, my NFL games will show up under movies, which would be confusing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:27:21 am »

If the only test is duration, my NFL games will show up under movies, which would be confusing.

Wonder if most users have more >1 hour sports events of movies. For us it's the latter. Looks like unless there can more criteria than duration there will have to be some manual retagging of sub type.

But.... could perhaps the Movie Sub Type be determined from some other information. Before I re-tagged a bunch of TV Shows to Movies I noticed that there were keywords including 'Movies'. Don't know where that came from.

Appreciate your further consideration of this.

Rod

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:36:33 am »

I have trouble considering sportsball activities since I'm generally not interested.

Is there anything in the mc2xml metadata stream MC uses that you can rely upon that would uniquely identify these recordings (either movies or sports)?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 10:39:27 am »

PS. To me, most sports (particularly professional ones) feel too much like this:

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 10:48:57 am »

I think most sporting events usually list the contestants in the description, so there will usually be a "vs." somewhere in the desctiption of sports but likely not in movies.

Maybe not, I don't record sports either so I'm mostly guessing.

Maybe it's better to assume long recordings are Movies, then search TMDb for a match, and if no match is found, then change it to TV show.  Most movies will be found, and the rest probably are TV shows then.
pretend this is something funny

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 10:54:42 am »

PS. To me, most sports (particularly professional ones) feel too much like this:

So true.  Sportscasters long ago realized that 95% of broadcast sport is nothing but sheer dullness.  Sidestepping this reality, they fill the "event" with meaningless distractions designed to tickle the male's natural equating of data and information with virility.  Let the foaming and frothing begin...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 11:22:08 am »

Before I re-tagged a bunch of TV Shows to Movies I noticed that there were keywords including 'Movies'. Don't know where that came from.
Rod

We recorded 4 more movies last night that came through as TV Show. But again they all had Keywords of Movie and also Movies. If this regularly happens could it not tell MC that they are movies?

I looked at a lot of our TV Shows that are not movies and none of them have the Keywords Movie or Movies.

I'm guessing that these Keywords are from Metadata that Carnac is acquiring. With my limited sample it seems fairly accurate. If we used that at least it would get a fairly high percentage of Movies shown as 'Movies'

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 03:21:06 pm »

We recorded 4 more movies last night that came through as TV Show. But again they all had Keywords of Movie and also Movies. If this regularly happens could it not tell MC that they are movies?
Rod

Bump.

Is there any reason that Movie & Movies Keywords would not distinguish Movies from Sporting events?

Thanks.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up