INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I play the "TrueHD" track on my BD rips (mkv) via SPDIF?  (Read 1876 times)

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Can I play the "TrueHD" track on my BD rips (mkv) via SPDIF?
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »

I've read many threads on BluRay and HD audio, but its still unclear to me, so I thought I'd just ask.  I'm very happy with the DTS-HD and Dolby playback of my ripped BDs, but I decided to retain the TrueHD track on one BD rip, and see if it would play...(and see if it sounded better?).  Here is my setup:

- HDMI video from PC to TV
- SPDIF (optical) from PC to Sony DH-820 Receiver (5.1 speakers)
- MC playback - Wasapi Event, Bitstreaming SPDIF, no DSP

When I choose the TrueHD stream in MC (48hz, 5.1 s24) the receiver plays only 2.1.  Would I need MC to decode the TrueHD first with this setup?  I did try HDMI (Radeon HD 4550) to my receiver, but got the same result.  Then I read that my video card was incapable of decoding TrueHD, so I went back to SPDIF.  Please advise if there is a way to play the TrueHD track.  Thanks.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can I play the "TrueHD" track on my BD rips (mkv) via SPDIF?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:16:29 pm »

Disable bitstreaming, allow MC to decode the TrueHD to multichannel PCM (you'll need dtsdecoderdll.dll, search for details) and then play over HDMI.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 04:39:32 pm »

OK, I'll try that.  You specify playback via HDMI.  Is the decoded TrueHD too much for SPDIF?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:27:01 pm »

SPDIF can only handle 2-channel PCM, regardless of format.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 05:46:28 pm »

Woooo - bunch of cross info here.  I'd recommend:
1) According to the ATI site the std HD4550 only audio support is HDMI up to 2 channel 48 KHz stereo or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 - SO if this is true you can NEVER get multi channel HD audio out of the card using either HDMI or SPDIF....the thing is I had a HD4550 at one point and I'm sure it supported up to 7.1 LPCM over HDMI.  Anyway you can waste allot of time and effort when "new" card like the nvidia 550Ti will cost you sod all.
2) On the new card use the HDMI connection and choose to either decode all the formats on the PC (my perfence and the MC Default) or enable Bitstreaming if you Receiver supports it.
3) You need to add the dtsdecoderdll.dll for full bit depth DTS-HD/MA decoding (not needed for TrueHD which is already supported).  You don't need it if you want to Bitstream.
JRiver CEO Elect

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:48:03 am »

Thanks!  I got an HD 5450 for $40 bucks and now am playing both TrueHD and DTS-HD/MA.... 8 channels!.  Bistreaming HDMI.... Plug & Play..... Nice!!!   Does it sound better than DTS 5.1....?  I haven't compared too much yet, but it's somehow satisfying to see "DTS-HD / MA 7.1" roll accross the receiver display.
Pages: [1]   Go Up