INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finding an open port  (Read 1167 times)

kosmicken

• Junior Woodchuck
Finding an open port
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:09:55 pm »

I use the default port of 52199 for my Library Server on my home PC.  I have no problems accessing the library remotely through MC on my laptop or through WebPlay when on a public network, a network at a friend's house, etc.  However, I can't access the library when I'm at work.  I suspect it may have something to do with the port being blocked.  Is there a utility I can run to determine conclusively whether a particular port is open or closed?  Additionally, is there a utility I can use to determine which ports are open without having to try one at a time until I find one that works?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Finding an open port
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:38:07 pm »

A lot of corporate sites block outgoing access to ports other than 80,443... A list which can be very small depending on your site. If you've no web server running on your home site you could try using port 80. If you do however, should have authentication turned on (with a decent login and password) unless you want everyone and their cousins trying to get at it.

kosmicken

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:17:00 pm »

I don't run a web server, so I don't see why I couldn't use port 80.

If you do however, should have authentication turned on (with a decent login and password) unless you want everyone and their cousins trying to get at it.

Wouldn't this apply no matter which port you use?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:05:55 am »

I don't run a web server, so I don't see why I couldn't use port 80.

Wouldn't this apply no matter which port you use?
I'd say yes, but some might figure that the chances of finding a media server on port 52199 are pretty low.
Pages: [1]   Go Up