INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backups  (Read 1805 times)

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
Backups
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:53:21 pm »

How often does MC do backups? Can this be made everyday?

Unfortunately something went wrong yesterday and I lost most of my setting and tags and the was only a backup that was 8 days old. :'(
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Backups
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:13:00 pm »

You can do a manual backup any time.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:45:59 am »

Hi Jim,

Is the JR config file flat? I ask as I have 3 media PC's so would like to be able to synchronise any changes made on 1 of them to the other 2. None of my clients are 'servers' as they all look to my ZFS based server for their media.

Maybe an additional service can be built into Media Server that pulls the config file from a central location every time it detects a change between itself and such a central version. Everytime a change is made in Media Center, Media Server pushes the config file to this central location.

Or, allow MC to look to a network resource for its config rather than local (but then laptops running MC wouldn't work when taken offsite).

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:16:06 am »

How often does MC do backups? Can this be made everyday?

Unfortunately something went wrong yesterday and I lost most of my setting and tags and the was only a backup that was 8 days old. :'(
Daily backups are saved. So you should be able to restore from those. I think the location is set under Options - File Location, at the bottom of the page.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:50:44 am »

I do not get daily backups and don't know of any place to set that option. Can you elaborate? There are some automatic backups on my system, but I cannot figure out what triggers them. It would be nice to have an automatic backup feature that the user could control. I am still running 17.0.68, so maybe the feature is brand new, although I have not seen anything about it. Thanks.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:09:10 am »

I'm not sure if you can change the location of the automatic backups at all. I just checked, and the Options -> File Location and "Library Backups" folder only looks like it includes manual backups on my machine. I have changed it from the defaults, so I'm not sure what the normal path is.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:41:59 am »

I'm not sure if you can change the location of the automatic backups at all. I just checked, and the Options -> File Location and "Library Backups" folder only looks like it includes manual backups on my machine. I have changed it from the defaults, so I'm not sure what the normal path is.

Do you know when automatic backups are done?

gottwavo

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:51:02 am »

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 05:14:29 pm »

Can someone from J River please explain the logic that is used for determining when automatic backups are done? The question has been asked several times, but there never seems to be an answer. Its a great feature, but it would be nice to understand the timing and triggering mechanisms.

I have had auto backups done this year  on 1/27, 2/8, 2/16 and 2/19 on one system, on 1/31, 2/9, and 2/16 on another, and 1/18, 1/30, 2/7, and  2/19 on a third. The third system also has backups back into December, but the other two do not.

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 05:42:21 pm »

Automatic backups are made every few days, assuming you run the program.  They are automatically cleaned up when they get old.

Monthly backups are also made.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 08:13:54 pm »

Thanks Matt. Any more detail than "every few days"? What triggers the backup? It clearly is not on a regularly timed schedule. I know if I knew what triggered the backups I could modify my usage to make sure they happened. Much easier than doing manual backups. I know I have MC running on each system most days. Thanks for any detail you can provide.
Pages: [1]   Go Up