INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie playback behaviour varies between PCs  (Read 973 times)

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
Movie playback behaviour varies between PCs
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:04:56 am »

I have MC17 set up on several PCs.  I have a single library set up on my HTPC.  All of the other instances of MC17 point to this HTPC Library Server.  When I play a ripped DVD on the HTPC, I get the DVD Menus.  If I right click, I get DVD Menu in the context menu.  When I play the same DVD on any of the other instances of MC17, the first main movie file plays.  No menu appears and right click does not give a DVD Menu option.

So why the difference?  All the settings are the same.  Surely all of the instances of MC17 should be accessing the same file as they are using the same library but they clearly aren't.  In the Files listing, the Filename is: M:\Frasier Series 3 Disc 3\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.dvd;1 - OK, yes, I'm a Frasier fan!  The File Type says .ifo.  The HTPC must be opening the Video_TS.ifo but the others seem to be opening one of the .vob files. 

Help!

Nick.

HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Movie playback behaviour varies between PCs
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:56:57 am »

To make DVDs work fully including the menu features, additional titles, etc, the client MC must have access to the complete DVD file structure. When the client has no direct access to the VIDEO_TS folder only the title that the server considers as the "main title" can be played.

For instance, I am now playing a DVD that has the filename \\PCH\Movies\[some folder name]\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.dvd;1. The menu and all other DVD features are correctly available. In this example path, "PCH" is the Windows network name of the server PC. The "Movies" folder is shared on that PC and the DVD has been imported from that network share to the server library. The client has been set to access the played files directly when possible: Options > Media Network > Client Options (when connected to a Library Server) > Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found (check this).

M:\Frasier Series 3 Disc 3\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.dvd;1

The above file path would work e.g. in case:
- the server would have the local folder L:\DVDs\Frasier Series 3 Disc 3\VIDEO_TS\
- the server would have the L:\DVDs\ root folder shared and mapped to the M: drive letter
- the DVD has been imported to the server library from this locally mapped "M:" drive (i.e. not from the physical L: drive)
- the client would have this server share also mapped to the drive letter M:
- the option "Play local file if one that matches Library Server file is found" is enabled on the client

In other words, you can use a \\[the name of the server PC]\... network share directly or a virtual drive letter (mapped or otherwise created). The important thing is that the same directory path must be accessible on the server and on the client.

To test the path on the client you can do: "right-click the video file > Locate > On Disk (external)" in Standard View. If the folder is accessible it will show up in Windows Explorer.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

NickF

Re: Movie playback behaviour varies between PCs
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:30:30 am »

Thanks Alex.  That's fixed it.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10
Pages: [1]   Go Up