INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting MC17 on computer to AV Receiver  (Read 2673 times)

wongjai888

• Recent member
Connecting MC17 on computer to AV Receiver
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:45:05 pm »

Hi,
I apologize if this has been asked already.  I searched, but have not found anything.
Question:  are there simple instructions to connect MC17 on my computer to my AV receiver so that I can play music thorugh my home theater speakers?  I intent to connect the receiver to my network using an ethernet cable.
Thanks you.
Mun

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Connecting MC17 on computer to AV Receiver
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:37:44 pm »

Hi Mun,

You may need to give a little more information so that you get the best answer.

You said that you want to play music through your AVR.  Do you also intend to play videos including movies?  Do you have stereo speakers or surround?  What types of inputs does your AVR have - HDMI, S/PDIF (coax or optical), obviously analogue but does it have 6 or 8 channel inputs?  We also need to know what outputs your PC has.  The key question is do you want to use digital or analogue transfer between the PC and your AVR.  What sound devices does the PC have?   You mentioned that the AVR will be connected to your LAN but that won't be the best way to transfer music although it may be possible if the AVR can act as a DLNA device.

MC17 is capable of using any available connection between the PC and AVR.  In order to get the best result, we need some of the above answers.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

wongjai888

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 05:33:38 pm »

Thanks, Nick, for the quick response.
I'm mostly interested in playing music.  I have a Marantz AVR with HDMI inputs, connected to surround sound speakers, blu-ray player and HDTV.  My PC's sound device is Realtek HD.
It may be simpler to just connect my laptop to the AVR using an HDMI cable - so I'll just play with this and see what happens.
Thanks again.

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 01:50:13 am »

You will find some guidance in the Wiki here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

I don't know how your digital audio is routed to the HDMI on your Laptop.  In Windows Control Panel > Sound, you need to choose the right sound device as your default then set that up as explained in the Wiki.

In MC17, go to Tools> Options > Audio.  Select Audio Output > Output Mode and choose Direct Sound to start with.  Under Output Mode Settings, select your sound device as above.  This should be enough to get you going.  To improve the quality of the audio, go back to Output Mode and choose WASAPI Event Style.  This assumes your Laptop supports WASAPI.  Again, in Output Mode Settings, select your sound device.  This will ensure that Windows doesn't mess with your sound.

Good luck.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10
Pages: [1]   Go Up